2.7 L opinion

My truck doesn't even have 1000 miles on it I don't want to put. K&N filter on until it's out of warranty. And it will build some HP it will breath better and that's a plus.

My truck doesn't even have 1000 miles on it I don't want to put. K&N filter on until it's out of warranty. And it will build some HP it will breath better and that's a plus.

1st, is the oem filter a proven bottleneck?

And just in case u were thinking about an intake as well.....
Odds are it will show zero hp gain outside of the avg dyno variable. History shows on the 1st gen, k&n intake lost hp lol.

Also the newer 2nd gen intake labeled "trd" is made by k&n and it causes trucks to run lean. So any hp they got is due to a design error making the engine run lean lol.

An air filter will not create any hp u can feel.

In some cases K&N filters can screw-up MAF sensors... so don't over oil them. I had a K&N filter in my 2002 Tundra... did not notice much improvement in MPG or performance.

K&N said it will
Thats easy.
Use test truck on dyno when its hot.. make 3 runs, record worst run.

Leave truck overnight, next morning when its nice and cold out, put back on rollers. Install whatever u want, make 3 more passes asap, record best run.

This could easily show 3 to 5 hp difference.

Its marketing.

P.M. said cigarettes were harmless for years.

Large companies bottle filtered tap water and label it spring water.

Manufacturers claim throttle body spacers work on newer vehicles.

Home audio receivers advertise power going into 6 ohms.

How many braceletes u see advertised to cure diziness, improve weight lifting ability, cure arthritis, improve posture?

Toyota claims 1200lb payloads on tacomas.

VW tweaked their ecu to bypass emissions controls cept when it was in testing modes for smog.

Companies say their magnets put on a water pipe can soften the water and remove impurities.

Toyota claimed the v6 tacoma made 245hp in 2005

Do i keep going?

I have owned 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder Tacomas. I currently own a 2014 reg cab 4x4. The v6 power is great. The 4 cyl 2.7 has less but is a little cheaper on gas if you drive it with a light foot. I tow a 2000 lb camper with the 2.7. It aint a powerhouse but I know how much room I need to pass someone and if there isn't room or we are on a grade, I don't pass. I use some common sense as I know the limitations of my truck and I am ok with that.
All that said, the 2.7 works for me and is a great engine with a track record for longevity. It does what I need it to do. If I needed to tow anything heavier, I would have a 6 cylinder. No hate on either engine.

I know regular cabs are now history but I always wished they offered the v6 in the regular cab.

I have a 1st gen 2002 4x4 (manual) Taco with a 2.7. The 2.7 is a great design, while it's certainly no speed burner it pulls my motorcycle trailer & bikes just fine. I've had many trucks over the years & I'll say with all honesty, this one has been the most reliable. With over 200k on the speedo it doesn't drip a drop of oil & doesn't use any between 3k mile oil changes. For me, the best vehicle I can purchase is one that requires the least amount of repair, & my current one definitely fills the bill. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new 2017 but with some in trepidation, knowing full well I'm not going to get the service life out of a new Taco as my current one. I will get the 3.5 because I do want the capability to tow heaver loads. Spending 40k & knowing I will be facing problems its hard to justify, but hey the new body style is great looking! :)

I had a 2010 Ford Ranger, 4L, V6 with 5 speed standard transmission. 1st and 2nd gear were very low to the point that it was dangerous pulling out onto the highway. There's an intersection near my place where you have to make a left hand turn onto the highway from a stop sign and the traffic in both directions is going 100kmh or around 60mph. It was a little nerve racking making that turn sometimes, especially with someone making the turn right behind you and there's a logging truck coming up behind at 60mph or more. That was one of the reasons I bought my 2007 Tacoma with automatic. It's so much safer. If I see a logging truck coming, just step on it and I'm up to 60 right away. Plus the Tacoma is a much nicer truck.

I wish Toyota would add a diesel option to the Tacoma. If they could make the HiLux diesel engine work??
Great mpg and torque to tow my boat!!!

I had a 2010 Ford Ranger, 4L, V6 with 5 speed standard transmission. 1st and 2nd gear were very low to the point that it was dangerous pulling out onto the highway. There's an intersection near my place where you have to make a left hand turn onto the highway from a stop sign and the traffic in both directions is going 100kmh or around 60mph. It was a little nerve racking making that turn sometimes, especially with someone making the turn right behind you and there's a logging truck coming up behind at 60mph or more. That was one of the reasons I bought my 2007 Tacoma with automatic. It's so much safer. If I see a logging truck coming, just step on it and I'm up to 60 right away. Plus the Tacoma is a much nicer truck.

I had a similarly equipped 03 Ranger 4wd and thought power was good. It kept up with my friend's 06 Tacoma.

I wish Toyota would add a diesel option to the Tacoma. If they could make the HiLux diesel engine work??
Great mpg and torque to tow my boat!!!

Problem is the purchase price would take years to offset with any fuel savings. The Colorado diesel is $6K on top of the V6. The 1GR 4.0 tows boats just fine. IMO the issue is the mid size truck catagory. People ask the to do work they can't do which can easily be done with a full size.

I agree whippersnapper0!! The 4.0 Tacoma would work for towing!! I kinda like the idea of a compact 4 cylinder diesel engine....

It works well in other countries... Just the price to mod an existing engine to meet US emission regs. etc. would be pricey. If RAM can put the Ecodiesel in their trucks (Fiat engine from Europe) one can only wish for a diesel Tacoma:)

Back