2.7L (2TRFE) Cold Start Knocking Issues

Uh no, I did not learn much or really anything at all over there
...Been learning quite a bit browsing that twmtopic thread

Like beating our heads against a brick wall and expecting the water to rise................

Oh well, soon this will just be a place to post unrelated pictures of some random item.

Something about aluminum buckets making this chatter

The oil weight rec was even changed at one time on the gen2
What the heck was that all about??

Sounds like a cover story from someone who doesn't want to deal with the owner.

Unless the pistons are horribly undersized or worn, you won't be able to hear the noise over the rest of the engine. It'll all blend in. Your ear isn't that well tuned. A sound analyzer with a frequency FFT could sort out the piston harmonics.

Like beating our heads against a brick wall and expecting the water to rise................

Oh well, soon this will just be a place to post unrelated pictures of some random item.
I thought I was the only one that noticed this.

There are some that might not be able to hear what I hear
I have extreme hyper sensitive hearing of sorts

Something about aluminum buckets making this chatter

The oil weight rec was even changed at one time on the gen2
What the heck was that all about??
Toyota changed oil weights around 2010 on the gen2, and other models to up their mpg estimates satisfy the epa

You may have hyper sensitive hearing. But I have doubts if you can sift out a particular item's sound signature.

Example: Your pilot bearing has been failing for months. Only recently, did you identify the source of the noise. Leading to extensive repairs to many items including the cherished manual transmission.

Toyota changed oil weights around 2010 on the gen2, and other models to up their mpg estimates satisfy the epa
So I have learned recently

And that is when this particular engine started having thses odd knocking sounds in the cold start

Pilot bearing noise was not ever detected upon what I found to be the normal standard testing for it
everything checked out fine... NO issues found at two shops that inspected it all

Last edited:
I have had retention issues through life
That makes me the badd guy :confused:
No, not bad, just slow. I had to overcome dyslexia when young. Back then it wasn't recognized. Teachers tried tying my left hand behind my back, so I'd learn to write right handed. I also read text books backwards which drove teachers crazy. They even wanted my parents to have me evaluated for having some sort of mental issues, needing special education.

Back