2009 2.7 better clutch

Discussion in '2005 - 2015 Toyota Tacoma' started by Mag liter, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Mag liter

Mag liter Member

I have been having very weird symptoms with my clutch, it does not feel right at all sometimes i will go to release it and it slips quite a bit then catches other times its moderately fine; it chatters quite a bit while slipping it. Clutch pedal has free play, im at 106k and i have not been happy with the clutch since i got it at 84k. I am looking to get a lce clutch or whatever else would work better than stock

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like it’s time to replace the clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing.

4. OP
    Mag liter

Mag liter Member

Im torn between an lce pro or dual comp clutch kit, i have not looked at urd or the center force yet

5. OP
    Mag liter

Mag liter Member

I ended up ordering an exedy/ daikin clutch kit, it also fits a 1993-4 t100 v6. By my thinking it will be a stronger clutch as the t100 had roughly 30 more horse power and could tow more. I will update the thread after i install it

Bogunn and OR17TRD like this.
  6. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Thanks.

7. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Cool. Let us know how it goes.

8. OP
    Mag liter

Mag liter Member

Install is on hold untill i figure out what toyota wants to do with my frame; if they replace it i will have the clutch put in then. But untill i figure out what they will do for me the install will have to wait

OR17TRD and Bogunn like this.
  9. OR17TRD

No need to replace it if they won’t do that.

10. OP
    Mag liter

Mag liter Member

Update, the frame is approved for the recall but toyota still wanted 1 k labor to put the clutch in even while it was that far apart -_- so i am doing it myself. Today i got the trans out and flywheel and pressure plate out; i may have had the only factory luk clutch that made it 108k miles. This alone explains the weird feeling and slippage

OR17TRD likes this.
  11. OR17TRD

At least you’re going to get a new frame and you’ll have a new clutch now too. Ready to roll for another 100k

12. OP
    Mag liter

Mag liter Member

Very displeased with my new clutch the release bearing was bad out of the box and i didn't know it until i had it all put back together, now i have to take it all back apart. Im going with an skf bearing this time

Bogunn likes this.
  13. OR17TRD

That sucks.

14. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Hate that you had trouble. You’ll be a pro when you’re done.

15. OP
    Mag liter

Mag liter Member

I will get my throwout bearing problem fixed in the next few weeks, maybe i will do a write up on it.

But for anyone who has a slipping clutch or wants something a little beefier than stock. These all fit my 2nd gen 2.7 r155f 4x4.

Exedy kty16
    Aisin ckt 065
    Exedy 16806b ( stage 1 organic clutch)
    Exedy 16956b ( stage 2 cerametallic race clutch)

But the base line is look for a 1993 toyota t100 4x4 v6 clutch if your limited to a local parts store

All this information as far as i know only applies to 4x4 trucks unless im mistaken

Personally for most people the exedy kty16 or aisin ckt065 will be more than enough the other two are for people who have motor mods or severely abuse the clutch

16. OP
    Mag liter

Mag liter Member

I have the kty16 in right now and it grabs like a son of a bitch, just makes horrible throwout bearing noises