2015 Tacoma 4x4 Sport rear fender flares defects/imperfections

Biz002

Hello all,

I just bought a new 2015 Tacoma sport 4x4. After a couple of days I noticed some imperfections on the rear fender mouldings. Looks like 2 creases or dents. Does anyone else have this issue? Not getting much help from the dealer or Toyota. Some of the other new Tacomas on the lot had exact same imperfections/defects and others did not. I am little ticked off at the lack of customer service I have gotten thus far and any help would be greatly appreciated. Not what I expect when buying a Toyota the global leader in Quality systems.
mad.gif

Thanks

I will try but you got to look at it at a certain angle to see it. If you stand at the tail gate and look down the truck to the front shows up pretty good. 33k for a flawed new truck Really chaps my hide. If it's got flaws I want to put them there. Anyone who owns a Tacoma new in the last couple years may want to check out your trucks. I will try to get pics. Thanks.

I will try but you got to look at it at a certain angle to see it. If you stand at the tail gate and look down the truck to the front shows up pretty good. 33k for a flawed new truck Really chaps my hide. If it's got flaws I want to put them there. Anyone who owns a Tacoma new in the last couple years may want to check out your trucks. I will try to get pics. Thanks.

I'd be at the dealer everyday until they fixed it. When I bought mine in 2012 they replaced the windshield (had suction cup marks from the factory) as did the front pass window. Top part of door panel damaged in transit, and they cut the inside plastic molding when they replaced the windshield. So that got replaced. Big $$ so I'd be all over their ass.

Dealer told me those imperfections were characteristics of a new Tacoma. And this is after they wrote a report stating that there were new truck on the lot with the same flaws and some with none! WTF? Told me to call Toyota directly and they said if the dealer won't fix it then I basically have to go to arbitration. Oh yea they never filled out the new car checklist when they hand over the vehicle to me! It's blank. Lol

Dealer told me those imperfections were characteristics of a new Tacoma. And this is after they wrote a report stating that there were new truck on the lot with the same flaws and some with none! WTF? Told me to call Toyota directly and they said if the dealer won't fix it then I basically have to go to arbitration. Oh yea they never filled out the new car checklist when they hand over the vehicle to me! It's blank. Lol

I would do what ever it takes to have them fix it. Hello warranty. I've bought 5 vehicles from the same dealership. When I buy new they know when I pull in its something that they need to fix. Basically the cringe every time. I don't care. I'm the one buying it. And I always buy outright.

I would do what ever it takes to have them fix it. Hello warranty. I've bought 5 vehicles from the same dealership. When I buy new they know when I pull in its something that they need to fix. Basically the cringe every time. I don't care. I'm the one buying it. And I always buy outright.
image.jpg

My '08 has the same creases. I think it's just from how the flares are attached to the fenders. I am honestly fail to see how this is a huge issue. They are trucks, not show cars. If you looked over the truck before you bought it I don't see how it's up to the dealer to fix something like this.

No other trucks have this of any other brand! 34k. It should be perfect. You're right I think it's mounting marks but how do you not remedy this after the First Article Inspection? Also not all Tacoma trucks have these defect. Do I remind you this is Toyota, the global leader in quality! And as far as your comment about this not being a show truck! This is a brand new truck, show room condition. (NEW) I guess quality means different things to different people. BTW the dealer never filled out the new vehicle inspection checklist with me either.

Once you get your first scratch these "defects" will escape your memory. No vehicle is perfect. They all have flaws and defects. Toyota still uses crappy leaf springs, frames that turn to Swiss cheese, weak 6 speed manuals, weak tailgates. I would rather the designers at Toyota focus more on the relevant issues like these than how the fender flares look as a finished product. Will all that said, I still would by a Tacoma over any other pickup on the market.

Yea me too that's kind of why I bought one. Great truck I can't argue that. I do have my first scratch, difference is I did it and I am perfectly ok with that because I did it. They need to focus on appearance also because quality is a whole product not just mechanics.

Flaws... My truck bed is half an inch closer to the cab on one side compared to the other. I also have the suction cup marks, definitely annoying from time to time. BTW... When you lift your Tacoma, some kits just make it level from front to back, but not level on all fours. Just something to think about...

Last edited:
New to this forum, but yes how frustrating to go to look at spending 34k and all of the trds I look at have the same imperfections. Need to either order or have a truck transferred but I don't know how BAD those spots will look when it gets here. Not interested in buying a lack of quality control. But Not covered under warranty, that is good to know that they don't cover problems from the get go.. Come on Toyota fix the machine that sucks...Truck or TRUCK I don't feel the defects should be there. And I am a GIRL that saw the problem.

They (Toyota) apparently opened up a service note on this issue and are working on a fix. That's what they are saying anyways. So if you like the truck order one then look it over before you buy and take receipt of it, look it over completely. Some 2015 trucks have them some don't. Most do. I signed up to go to arbitration and they are "working on the problem". They actually have them on the front ever so slightly also. Not as big of a deal. You gotta really look for them to see it. Other than that it's a great truck thus far, other than the current issues. BTW it's been over three months and still no fix! That concerns me. I have to keep calling back to check status of my claim.

Those creases are actually injection molding marks where the plastic flowed into the mold and are present in some form on all injection molded items. With that being said toyota does need to fix the issue and file a claim against its supplier- flex n gate out of Indiana as they make the part and paint them per spec theses should not pass QA

Hello all,

I just bought a new 2015 Tacoma sport 4x4. After a couple of days I noticed some imperfections on the rear fender mouldings. Looks like 2 creases or dents. Does anyone else have this issue? Not getting much help from the dealer or Toyota. Some of the other new Tacomas on the lot had exact same imperfections/defects and others did not. I am little ticked off at the lack of customer service I have gotten thus far and any help would be greatly appreciated. Not what I expect when buying a Toyota the global leader in Quality systems.
mad.gif

Thanks
I purchased a Tacoma Double Cab 4X4 TRD Off Road PKG and I didnt notice it until I read your post and checked my truck but its the same way on the rear fender flares.
I dont think Id want the dealer to replace. I kinda rather it factory fresh. Ive had dealers mess up my vehicles in the past . I will be watching the thread to see how you make out.
but looking at mine I have to agree it must be how they are.

I purchased a Tacoma Double Cab 4X4 TRD Off Road PKG and I didnt notice it until I read your post and checked my truck but its the same way on the rear fender flares.
I dont think Id want the dealer to replace. I kinda rather it factory fresh. Ive had dealers mess up my vehicles in the past . I will be watching the thread to see how you make out.
but looking at mine I have to agree it must be how they are.
My Truck was manufactured in 5/15 in the USA. It was off the truck the night before I bought it. I waited for it to come in.

Back