2016-2017 needle bearing still an issue???

Have 2015, 22,000 miles, with 2 inch leveling kit. Got the hum and vibration from bearing at 35 mph and went away at 45 mph. That needle bearing is just so flimsy. Drained diff and put in 85w140. Noise completely gone. Guess the heavier oil creates cushion, thicker film between bearing and shaft. Not just masking the sound, vibration felt in pedals and floor board gone also.
Please let us know if the noise comes back. I may try this first, great idea!

Just received a recall the other day regarding the propeller shaft universal joints which is giving the same problems such as drivetrain vibrations and noise. I have a vibration while driving mostly all the time above 50mph and I can notice it much more when I speed up quick and come to a stop fast I don’t know if it’s the same problem that is being discussed here. Sometimes it makes my whole truck shake but I have no noise to compare it too maybe you guys can give me some more info on what the needle bearing is

Just received a recall the other day regarding the propeller shaft universal joints which is giving the same problems such as drivetrain vibrations and noise. I have a vibration while driving mostly all the time above 50mph and I can notice it much more when I speed up quick and come to a stop fast I don’t know if it’s the same problem that is being discussed here. Sometimes it makes my whole truck shake but I have no noise to compare it too maybe you guys can give me some more info on what the needle bearing is
Your issue is not the needle bearing. It will only happen between 30-40mph most distinguishing at 35mph. You will hear an intermittent hum hum hum and feel it in the steering wheel and the floor board. It will go away after 40mph and you can make it go away in 4wd.

Last edited:
Your issue is not the needle bearing. It will only happen between 30-40mph most distinguishing at 35mph. You will here an intermittent hum hum hum and feel it in the steering wheel and the floor board. It will go away after 40mph and you can make it go away in 4wd.

Cool well hopefully Toyota can tell me what it is this weekend

Your issue is not the needle bearing. It will only happen between 30-40mph most distinguishing at 35mph. You will hear an intermittent hum hum hum and feel it in the steering wheel and the floor board. It will go away after 40mph and you can make it go away in 4wd.

Good info.
I really like the “hum hum hum”. [emoji23]

Was wondering if you were able to solve your problem with this bearing OR17TRD. Just lifted mine and had the problem right away. I put 75w-140 in the front diff and it has calmed down a lot but I still get the buzz around 20mph and 40mph but it’s very minor I feel it more when slowing down. Getting my bigger tires this week and a alignment so I’m helping that will totally eliminate this. If not I will be getting the replacement ecgs bearing.

Was wondering if you were able to solve your problem with this bearing OR17TRD. Just lifted mine and had the problem right away. I put 75w-140 in the front diff and it has calmed down a lot but I still get the buzz around 20mph and 40mph but it’s very minor I feel it more when slowing down. Getting my bigger tires this week and a alignment so I’m helping that will totally eliminate this. If not I will be getting the replacement ecgs bearing.
Your gonna have to buy the bushing. Apparently, I have read that some dealers that lift the trucks before sale are acually also putting the ecgs bearing in. I only lifted mine 1.75 in the front and I need the bushing. I have it on hand just havent installed yet.

Yes I found a dealer that finally fixed it eventually. I don’t know exactly how. They may have used the ECGS bushing. They attempted to replace the needle bearing with another one different part number and it didn’t work. They kept my truck for a week and said they replaced the front differential and that’s what fixed it. All I cared about was that it was fixed. It’s been 6k Miles and it hasn’t come back. Time will tell. If it does come back I’ll be doing the ECGS bushing.

Your gonna have to buy the bushing. Apparently, I have read that some dealers that lift the trucks before sale are acually also putting the ecgs bearing in. I only lifted mine 1.75 in the front and I need the bushing. I have it on hand just havent installed yet.

Awesome great feedback guys I will plan on getting that bushing. In the mean time how long should I be ok with the regular bushing.

Awesome great feedback guys I will plan on getting that bushing. In the mean time how long should I be ok with the regular bushing.
The needle bearing doesn’t have a bushing the ECGS bushing replaces the bearing so it doesn’t hum any more. The needle bearing will last a long time humming down the road.
The question is how long will you last? Haha

The needle bearing doesn’t have a bushing the ECGS bushing replaces the bearing so it doesn’t hum any more. The needle bearing will last a long time humming down the road.
The question is how long will you last? Haha

Haha not much longer I can tell you that [emoji23]‍♂️

Just bought 2017 TRD OR DCLB had 24 miles on it after I put 14 miles on during the test drive. Love the truck. Its lifted with a 3" toyota approved revtek 40013. It makes a hum hum noise around 35mph that is felt in the floor board, pedals and wheel. Looks like it's try the T-SB-0026-15. Or buy the aftermarket bushing (identified as T8CS-Bushing) to replace the factory needle bearing its made by East Coast Gear Supply (ECGS). I'm hoping toyota will realize the problem still exists in the new trucks. Is anyone else getting this on the 16-17 taco's?? I know it was a known issue for the 05-15. Thought toyota would have fixed the issue on the new ones. I've been told the drive trains are the same on the last 2 gens.
I have a 2018 with the same issue!

I have a 2018 with the same issue!
Does it go way in 4wd? Drive your truck on a long straight road if it’s dry out. Get up to 30+ mph when the vibs start and then turn 4wd high on and see if the vibs go away. If they do it’s the drivers side needle bearing and the ECGS bushing will fix it.

They came out with a TSB for what sounds like this issue. Released Feb 5th 2018

TSB #T-SB-0011-18
TSB: Some 2016 ? 2018 model year Tacoma 4WD vehicles may exhibit a cyclical groaning or grinding noise coming from the front differential in 2WD that is not present during 4WD operation. Follow the Repair Procedure in this bulletin

They came out with a TSB for what sounds like this issue. Released Feb 5th 2018

TSB #T-SB-0011-18
TSB: Some 2016 ? 2018 model year Tacoma 4WD vehicles may exhibit a cyclical groaning or grinding noise coming from the front differential in 2WD that is not present during 4WD operation. Follow the Repair Procedure in this bulletin

So I’m guessing if it’s lifted they will still blame it on the lift

Back