2018 Tacoma engine noise!! Annoying

I have a 2017 Tacoma Sport, no noise like this. Something must be wrong. Take the truck somewhere else to have it checked. Mine has 35,100 miles. I use 87 octane with ethanol here in South Dakota.

Last edited:
My 2018 off road sounds like that only at idle, but I'm pretty sure the video exaggerates the sound because mine sounds like that but not quite as loud. It almost sounds like the truck is purring, honestly it sounds like a very well made machine and hasn't ever given problems.

I have a 17 trd Off-Road and can hear a little noise at idle but NOTHING like the video mine sounds more like valve clearance which you can hardly notice if all else fails turn up the radio

So my brand new Tacoma sr5 makes an obnoxious "engine noise" which Toyota is calling it "normal" from the high pressure fuel pump! How can this be normal? It sounds horrible while at idle!
Sounds like they slipped one of those old model diesel engines in on you!

Thats what I said awhile ago. Don't just accept the dealers"thats normal" answer, try some different things, different oil, different gas, maybe even a different oil filter. I've used castrol before and had no issues, thinking about going back to it just because of the price difference between it and Amsoil.

I will swear on a bible that the best oil I have found, and I use in my vehicles ( except snowmobiles and motorcycles) is Chevron Supreme Synthetic. I believe in it so much I recommend it to friends and family to.
My now girlfriend has been a friend for about 3.5 years, and I have been helping her with vehicle maintenance on her last car and current suv. When i changed the oil in her old car, a high mileage Kia Forte, she swore it was quieter after than it had ever been. I use other oils in my snowmobiles and bikes, and have been known to buy oil on sale and switch to a different brand for a while in my vehicles, but it seems that I always come back to this Chevron oil because my cars and pickups are just so happy on it. Right now I have a drum of it in my garage, makes oil changes so easy to just pump out the exact amount needed. When this drum gets low, I'll be back to buy another drum of it.

Honestly, Valvoline or Mobil 1 works great. Just use the factory filter, and change within 7,500 miles minimum (regardless of the 10,000 interval the book says) biggest thing is use the gaskets that come in the OEM Toyota filter box.

Personally I change mine every 5,000 miles

Thats what I said awhile ago. Don't just accept the dealers"thats normal" answer, try some different things, different oil, different gas, maybe even a different oil filter. I've used castrol before and had no issues, thinking about going back to it just because of the price difference between it and Amsoil.

Bdarnaold12 is absolutely right! Use better quality oil and a wix filter and it quiets down typically. I have an 06 trd and makes that noise once in awhile right around when I need an oil change.

Bdarnaold12 is absolutely right! Use better quality oil and a wix filter and it quiets down typically. I have an 06 trd and makes that noise once in awhile right around when I need an oil change.
My truck made that noise when it had 500 miles on it. It still does occasionally. Honestly I think the sound is exaggerated by the video, when it happens it sounds like it meant to happen. I'm not the slightest bit worried about it.

Seriously look up the difference between oil filters and you'll see the OEM Toyota one is better than 95% of them and guaranteed to work perfectly. I think the only one that's actually proven to be better is a special version of the Amsoil filter.

It only makes the noise when the truck is idling in park. Which leads me to believe its some sort of cycle, the 3.5 Atkinson cycle V6 purrs like a Kubota tractor I LOVE IT

So my brand new Tacoma sr5 makes an obnoxious "engine noise" which Toyota is calling it "normal" from the high pressure fuel pump! How can this be normal? It sounds horrible while at idle!
I have 2017 TRD Sport and it sounds exactly this yours! I don't think it's normal either. But I am not experiencing any stall whatsoever. Today I experienced some engine squeal. Not sure if it was from the a/c compressor or some other pulley. It was real noticeable when I would press the gas you could hear a squeal come from the engine compartment. When I got back to the house I washed the truck and the engine compartment and left the a/c off and nothing...not sure. But that ticking noise is batty!

Back