2019 Engine Knock Noise Please Help

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by Eric Golli, Aug 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Eric Golli

Eric Golli Member

Brand new truck with 600 miles on it. I hear the high pressure fuel pump, I hear the injectors, this is different. This sounds like a valve. Let me know what you guys think.

B-Man and Crawdad like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Crawdad

Crawdad Well-Known Member

Eeeeeehhh.... take it back... lol
    I don't think this is the "normal" knocking/ ticking/ clacking... whatever that Tacomas are known for...

Does it have oil in it??? Lol

kp.taco and B-Man like this.
  4. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound right to me. Take it back

5. dirtytaco

dirtytaco Well-Known Member

Yeah man, that sounds rough. As new as it is, shouldn’t have any issues getting a replacement or getting it fixed

6. OP
    Eric Golli

Eric Golli Member

Just came back from the dealer, they said it was normal noise even though another Tacoma did not sound like that. They toldme to continue driving it. It really sounds like a faulty lifter though. I guess I will have to ride it out.

7. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

I'd try a different dealer.

B-Man likes this.
  8. Joisey

Joisey Well-Known Member

Hard to determine without being there, but I'll go with piston slap in one cylinder.

9. Bastek

Bastek Active Member

It does sound loud. Try higher octane fuel an see if that helps.

Mine was noisy as well (although I can't remember being that noisy, but then again it's YouTube not irl) when running on regular. It got much quieter on super (93 or 91 octane)

10. Jersey Black Beauty

Jersey Black Beauty Active Member

sounds worse than my 2017 and they tell me its the self cleaning fuel injector pump LOL any takers???

11. Joisey

Joisey Well-Known Member

Detonation at idle is a truly rare occurance unless the engine is severely overheated.

12. OP
    Eric Golli

Eric Golli Member

Its hard to tell by the phone. Its not piston slap bad. It sounds like a lifter or something.

Toyota - “Thats a normal factory sound”:

13. arm76

arm76 Well-Known Member

It's cheaper for them to say "normal" and wait until it breaks, then warrantee claim it. You wouldn't want them to waste their precious time diagnosing your issue when they can be looking for issues on vehicles that are no longer under warrantee.

Jersey Black Beauty likes this.
  14. arm76

arm76 Well-Known Member

I concur.

Jersey Black Beauty likes this.
  15. Jersey Black Beauty

Jersey Black Beauty Active Member

16. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

Sounds like a diesel. Take it back!

B-Man likes this.
  17. Warranty should cover that... that’s NOT normal... I’d demand they fix the issue before the calendar reads 2020

18. Finguy68

Finguy68 New Member

Just picked up my 2019 Tacoma from Toyota service department, took it in with same complaint. Service tech stated "It is the injectors and oil delivery system". His next statement shocked me. He stated, " If something is wrong, drive it until it blows up and we will fix it". Here I go!! So much for Toyota quality control.

Bastek likes this.
  19. Joisey

Joisey Well-Known Member

I was told by a mechanic at my Toyota dealership that the new frames "are rustproof and have no need for rust protection". I asked him to put that on my repair order (I was in getting my info system replaced under warranty). He refused. Long story short, ask the mechanic to write what he said on your repair slip.

If you run it until it blows, Toyota will seek any way out of paying for your new engine. It's not just Toyota, all car makers lie like hell.

20. bdarnold12

bdarnold12 Well-Known Member

Something to investigate is LSPI. This has become more prominent in turbo engines but also in DI. My personal experience is I use amsoil signature series oil and either 89 or 93 octane top tier gas. I have never experienced any excess noises from my engine. I'm not saying this is the answer or saying that people should use what I do, just experiment with higher octane or make a different oil choice to see if it helps. Apparently Toyota doesn't have an answer but then again they aren't going to recommend anything above the minimum 87 octane because that would add to customer expense. I don't know if this could be the issue but it's at least worth checking out.

Scott Wyman likes this.
  21. Joisey

Joisey Well-Known Member

By definition, LSPI is detonation at low speed. The OP has the noise at idle, with zero engine load. I can see the possibility of LSPI when the engine gets some mileage on it tho.