4 wheeling and insurance

SCH

So I was thinking this week about our trip coming up to Moab and the Grand Canyon. Plan on doing some off roading of course and not planning on anything to technical since we need to drive back to Kansas. If something bad would happen while off roading does insurance cover it? Just like running the trans am down the track, if something bad would happen do they cover it or say that it was that was at your own risk? Maybe someone has dealt with this and has an answer?

So I was thinking this week about our trip coming up to Moab and the Grand Canyon. Plan on doing some off roading of course and not planning on anything to technical since we need to drive back to Kansas. If something bad would happen while off roading does insurance cover it? Just like running the trans am down the track, if something bad would happen do they cover it or say that it was that was at your own risk? Maybe someone has dealt with this and has an answer?

Generally speaking your insurance should cover you in any aspect unless you have a crappy bare bones policy. I’d check with a local office though. Truly just to see.

You’re gonna have fun in AZ!

Several years ago I got a little squirrelly in the desert, ended up landing on a bush that happened to have a a fricken boulder behind it. Took out the DF suspension and just about took the whole rear end out. Insurance took care of it all, even replaced all my aftermarket stuff with the same parts. It helps to keep all receipts and to have met with an adjuster previous to any accident to add any suspension, bumpers, etc. to your policy. Definitely communicate with your insurance company before anything happens just to see how they’ll handle your “what if’s.”

Last edited:
Unless your insurance policy says "Do Not Operate Your Vehicle Off Road" I'd say they'll cover any damage......as Bogunn and Crawdad said, check with your agent and he/she can tell you for sure.

You’re gonna have fun in AZ!

Several years ago I got a little squirrelly in the desert, ended up landing on a bush that happened to have a a fricken bolder behind it. Took out the DF suspension and just about took the whole rear end out. Insurance took care of it all, even replaced all my aftermarket stuff with the same parts. It helps to keep all receipts and to have met with an adjuster previous to any accident to add any suspension, bumpers, etc. to your policy. Definitely communicate with your insurance company before anything happens just to see how they’ll handle your “what if’s.”

A bush with a boulder behind it. SMH[emoji23]

Generally speaking your insurance should cover you in any aspect unless you have a crappy bare bones policy. I’d check with a local office though. Truly just to see.

Most, if not all insurance companies will deny any claim for racing be it at the drag strip or street. Read your policy under exclusions and definitions. But off road should be fine as long as it's not a race or some kind of event. If so, contact you agent as there may be a rider you can purchase for coverage.

Reactions: SCH
Thanks guys! I’ll definitely be on the look out for bushes with boulders hiding behind them! I’m laughing But that’s the exact thing I’m talking about. Accidents happen. I’ll have to get ahold of my insurance company and talk with them.

Thanks guys! I’ll definitely be on the look out for bushes with boulders hiding behind them! I’m laughing But that’s the exact thing I’m talking about. Accidents happen. I’ll have to get ahold of my insurance company and talk with them.

That was one tough a$$ tumble weed!!! [emoji23]

The passenger front was the only wheel pulling me all the way out to a road where I could my trailer in to. (Had a front air locker) the rear end was pulled back in place with ratchet straps just so I could drive semi straight. The driveshaft got mangled and was in the back of the truck Had to pull the DF axle out and tie-wire the tie rod together just so the wheel wouldn’t flop around. The lower A-arm completely ripped apart. It was a fun day! Somehow, we were still in good spirits, it was still fun, and, “That damned bush!” [emoji23]

Back