4cyl 4wd Mechanical Specs

RC57

I'm considering getting an access cab, 4cyl, 4wd, 5spd MT Tacoma and I'm not seeing much in the way of mechanical specifications on Toyota's website.Here's some info I'm looking for-

1) What type transfer case? Is it the same for the I4 and V6? does it have a diff that allows 4wd on dry pavement?

2) Are all the basic Tacomas equipped with disc front and drum rear brakes? What kind of calipers on front? One piece 4pot? 2pot?

3) On the 4wd does the brake-actuated LSD work on one wheel at a time or can it limit slip front and rear simultaneously?

4) How well does the cruise control work on this setup? My GF's '01 2wd 4cyl PreRunner with AT cruise control hunts too much to be useful.

PS. Tried another forum and got zero responses in a month. The dealership has no idea either. This looks like the most active forum :)

1. Part time 4wd case. Not sure if it's the same case between the engines.

2. Same brakes all around since the loss of the 5 lug. 4 pot disc front and drums rear on all models.

3. ALSD works on each axle separately at the same time. By that I mean power can be transferred to the opposite wheel on the same axle but not front to back between axles like an AWD vehicle.

4. I hear it's a shift show when using cruise or just driving the with the new 6 speed auto. Probably worse since it's the lower power engine. I'd go for a test drive.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
You should be able to call parts at the dealer and they should be able to look up the transfer case and see if it's the same part.

I wouldn't dive in 4wd on dry pavement.
My 99 4Runner has a lockable open diff in the transfer case. I can put it 4wd on pavement, then lock the transfer case after I've transitioned to deep sand. During months when I don't go off-road I can still put it in 4wd (without locking the center diff) to "exercise" the system.

My 99 4Runner has a lockable open diff in the transfer case. I can put it 4wd on pavement, then lock the transfer case after I've transitioned to deep sand. During months when I don't go off-road I can still put it in 4wd (without locking the center diff) to "exercise" the system.

The Tacoma never got AWD.

I'm saying I wouldn't drive my Tacoma in 4wd on dry pavement. You do what you want when you get yours, it will be yours.
I have "exercised" mine in town when it's raining like crazy and the roads are really wet. I try to get out where I can use it more often than not.

I use mine in dry pavement often. 4wd boosted launches to get in front of dickheads and drag racing at the track. It's fine as long as you go straight and minimize turning. I also exercise the rear locker a couple of times a month.

Tacoma's 4x4 is not meant to be used in high traction conditions. Sure you CAN but the purpose is to engage when conditions warrant. You CAN go as fast as you want in 4wd Hi on dry pavement. You CAN drag race in 4wd Hi. It's not going to bind as long as you aren't turning. Would I do this... probably not.
Like I said do what you want with your taco it's yours.

For those who might want some good information on use of 4wd.
http://www.4x4abc.com/

Back