Air dam (front)

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by blacktaco4x4, Mar 19, 2019.

1. blacktaco4x4

blacktaco4x4 Member

Looks better with it? Or without it? For sport and sr5 models. I’m debating on removing it. Heard it affects gas mileage slightly. What y’all think?

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. texasred

texasred Well-Known Member

It looks better without it IMHO. Looks like you gained an inch of lift.
    I may have lost a mile or so per gallon.
    Scott Wyman (on this board) said it was more unstable at highway speeds in wind, but I didn’t notice.

4. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

I’d take it off. But I’d also want larger tires and a better approach angle. :cool:

5. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Remove it.....looks better! Gas mileage change is minimal.

Ricks2012, blacktaco4x4 and texasred like this.
  6. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

I havent noticed any mileage change, but I have noticed a handling difference at highway speeds. Especially during windy days where head winds were in excess of 15 miles an hour. I think the front spoiler (Toyota terminology) helps block air flow into the front wheel wells at high speeds which decreases tire contact with the road.
    After having mine off for a year I put it back on and there is a very noticeable difference.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    JRE, Smokey16, Ricks2012 and 4 others like this.
  7. TacoKen

TacoKen Well-Known Member

Well, I don't see it so my guess is better without it. Must have deleted the pic....

Ricks2012, B-Man, texasred and 2 others like this.
  8. Will Evans

Will Evans Well-Known Member

I'm no engineer but wouldn't the air dam give you better stability at high speeds? A little bit of a down force on the front of the vehicle?

I've got one on my truck but I never drove without it so I can't provide input on any difference. But if you have it on your truck, might as well keep it on. It's good for a bit of hood protection too.

Ricks2012, B-Man, texasred and 2 others like this.
  9. OP
    blacktaco4x4

blacktaco4x4 Member

I might take it off to see how it looks, I’ll post before and after photos on here.

Ricks2012, Jack Straw, B-Man and 2 others like this.
  10. dirtytaco

dirtytaco Well-Known Member

TRD off-road models do not come with them so just remove it and pretend like it was never there and you’ll notice no difference

11. Will Evans

Will Evans Well-Known Member

Huh? My 06 is a TRD off road and came with it..

B-Man and texasred like this.
  12. dirtytaco

dirtytaco Well-Known Member

May be a 3rd gen thing

Will Evans, B-Man and texasred like this.
  13. Scott Wyman

Exactly my point. Maybe my dyslexia got the best of me while I was trying to explain it.

14. Scott Wyman

It does look better with it off, but it drives better with it on.

Lil G, B-Man and texasred like this.
  15. OP
    blacktaco4x4

blacktaco4x4 Member

IMG_8934.jpg IMG_8935.jpg

16. texasred

IMHO it looks cleaner.

Scott-did you put yours back on?

I’ve driven highway speeds+ around here and didn’t notice adverse handling. We’re going to Greenville (9 hrs north of San Antonio) next weekend and I’ll report on extended highway driving versus last time we went.

Scott Wyman and B-Man like this.
  17. Scott Wyman

I did put mine back on and, IMHO (and I've done a lot of driving), there us a noticeable driving difference.

I get a lot less "swerve" with the spoiler on. The truck is more stable at high speeds (70mph+) and especially on windy days and in heavy traffic where there is a lot of turbulant air currents on the road.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    JRE, B-Man and texasred like this.
  18. texasred

I’m taking the Austin bypass both ways so it’ll be 80 + whatever I can get away with for that length.
    I’m interested to see for myself. Maybe I should take it with me and put it on for the return trip.

B-Man, Jack Straw and Scott Wyman like this.
  19. Scott Wyman

That would be a good test.

20. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

Lmfao, all of this airdam nonsense in a second gen section.

Can we have a moderator move this to third gen section?

.......riiiiiiiiiiiight

21. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

Post a pic. I wanna see