Another MPG thread

beavis87

I know that many factors affect gas mileage especially driving habits and environmental conditions, but lets isolate those variables. Lets assume that a 90 year old grandmother is driving on perfectly flat highway with no wind at 65 mph. She keeps her tires inflated at optimal tire pressure and she drives as well... a 90 year old woman would drive, but she has money to burn (house paid, good 401(k) and social security) and want's to improve her gas mileage as much as possible by buying every type of gas mileage improver for her 2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 extended cab with 143k miles. What do you suggest she buy?
Some things come to mind but she wants expert opinion on specific products.

Lightweight wheels
Low resistance and thinner tires
High viscosity synthetic oil
Better oil filter
Clean fuel injectors
Replace fuel injectors
Replace o2 sensors
Clean or replace EGR valve
New spark plugs
New distributor caps and rotors
New battery
New/different transmission fluid
Fuel system treatment
Coolant additives
New or different coolant (waterless coolant?)
Oil additives
Transmission fluid additives
Better air filter or cold air intake (not those short ram hot air intakes although I've read a thread where hot air actually increases MPG by decreasing power)
Throttle body spacer
Headers
Exhaust system
High flow catalytic converters
Tonneau cover
Performance chips/Engine computers
Lighter (not weaker) internal and external engine parts

This is all I could think of but I would like to know tacoforum's opinion what of these or others not mentioned are cost effective and which of them are not. Even if they aren't cost effective, do they help at all? Even a 1% increase can add up over time especially on top of other modifications.

I know that many factors affect gas mileage especially driving habits and environmental conditions, but lets isolate those variables. Lets assume that a 90 year old grandmother is driving on perfectly flat highway with no wind at 65 mph. She keeps her tires inflated at optimal tire pressure and she drives as well... a 90 year old woman would drive, but she has money to burn (house paid, good 401(k) and social security) and want's to improve her gas mileage as much as possible by buying every type of gas mileage improver for her 2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 extended cab with 143k miles. What do you suggest she buy?
Some things come to mind but she wants expert opinion on specific products.

Lightweight wheels
Low resistance and thinner tires
High viscosity synthetic oil
Better oil filter
Clean fuel injectors
Replace fuel injectors
Replace o2 sensors
Clean or replace EGR valve
New spark plugs
New distributor caps and rotors
New battery
New/different transmission fluid
Fuel system treatment
Coolant additives
New or different coolant (waterless coolant?)
Oil additives
Transmission fluid additives
Better air filter or cold air intake (not those short ram hot air intakes although I've read a thread where hot air actually increases MPG by decreasing power)
Throttle body spacer
Headers
Exhaust system
High flow catalytic converters
Tonneau cover
Performance chips/Engine computers
Lighter (not weaker) internal and external engine parts

This is all I could think of but I would like to know tacoforum's opinion what of these or others not mentioned are cost effective and which of them are not. Even if they aren't cost effective, do they help at all? Even a 1% increase can add up over time especially on top of other modifications.
A cold air intake is good for a few MPG's

Back