Best 2 kayak rack

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by ATXTacoma, Sep 19, 2018.

1. ATXTacoma

ATXTacoma New Member

I just got a 2018 Tacoma with 5 foot bed and my first purchase for it will be a kayak rack. I’m looking at the Thule Xsporter 500. Anyone have any racks they love?

m(a)ce likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. m(a)ce

m(a)ce Member

I haven’t used any of their bed racks like but their cradles and J style racks are solid. Both types worked well for my Wilderness fishing yak.

4. jdr3366

jdr3366 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the group.

I just throw my Traverse in the back and tie it down.

5. bumpedmyhead

bumpedmyhead Well-Known Member

Our yaks are 12 and 13 feet. Now that the topper is on, Im using Yakima. But before, I used an extender. T-bone Boondox. 20180812_182151.jpeg

OR17TRD likes this.
  6. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Picture after you have it set up.

7. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Welcome and congrats on the Tacoma.
    I don’t use a rack for my kayak, just use the bed and bungee cords.

8. mcklovin77

mcklovin77 Well-Known Member

Made my own and kayak paddle attachment. My kayak is 12ft long. 20180518_203747.jpeg

9. mcklovin77

mcklovin77 Well-Known Member

Well I didn't completely make it, just bought a cheap ladder rack and cut about 8inches of height and made a bracket for my headache rack. Cost a whole whopping 80$ for the ladder rack set and 100$ for the kayak attachments. Saved about 400$ instead of buying a thule.

OR17TRD and Scott Wyman like this.
  10. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

Ain't nothing line some good old back-yard engineering. Nice work.

OR17TRD, B-Man and mcklovin77 like this.
  11. manual tacoma

manual tacoma Member

I have a 14’ canoe and that’s what I’ve been looking for.

12. danwray

danwray New Member

Is that the 60 dollar rack on amazon? I was wondering how easily it could be cut down for reduction in height.