Best oil for the 3.5 V-6??

Remember there are only around 3 to 4 major oil suppliers. A little secret on oil.(O'Reilly's, napa and some generic brands of oil is Mobil1) save your money and buy the generic it is actually the same. The toyomobil1 brand might have a little different amount of detergents but you can add a little trans fluid to your oil to increase your detergent rate but that's science lol

Remember there are only around 3 to 4 major oil suppliers. A little secret on oil.(O'Reilly's, napa and some generic brands of oil is Mobil1) save your money and buy the generic it is actually the same. The toyomobil1 brand might have a little different amount of detergents but you can add a little trans fluid to your oil to increase your detergent rate but that's science lol
I did not know that! Thanks mcklovin.

Like the rubber for your tires. Only a few make it. :(

Actually it's ether Warren or Omni. It certainly is not a Mobil1 or it's recipe. Although those two may or may not buy base stock from Exxon Mobil or other big boys, but it's the additive packs that matter the most. Most off brand oils use cheap additive packs to barely meet minimum standards, where the brand names go above and beyond and use more expensive/better additive packs, therefore giving engines more protection especially during extended intervals (10k miles).

Last edited:
I'm talking about basic oil. Non specific special blended.
Right, but Exxon Mobil does not supply retailers like O'Reilly or Napa, etc... with "off brand/generic" motor oil. When you said: (O'Reilly's, napa and some generic brands of oil is Mobil1) save your money and buy the generic it is actually the same. It is not the same oil. It may or may not use raw base material that came from Exxon but it is in no way or shape a Mobil1 or equivalent. Just wanted to get the record straight ;)

I'm guessing that as long as the 0w20 oil meets the specs in your owner's manual you should be fine.The NAPA down the street runs sales on NAPA Syn 0w20 all the time (less than 4 bucks a quart)
NAPA oil worked fine in my 09 Tacoma and GMC Canyon just fine... I think it's just rebranded Valvoline?? Castrol, Vavoline, Pennzoil, etc should all work well as long as it meets specs.??

Just noticed some of the oil brands are marked as SN-Plus (API rating). I heard that this is due to some modern engine (2011 and later) being gasoline direct injected or GDI??
Anyone notice this?? Would it be best to run an oil with the latest specs??

SN+ was created because of direct injection engines. Some DI engines have a problem with what is called LSPI, low speed pre ignition, the SN+ was created to deal with this. Right now its a band aid till they figure out the new gf6 ratings.

Yes.. I'm guessing SN+ spec oil is the "stop gap" to cover concerns with direct injection engines. One thing I noticed, my local Walmart keeps having different brands of 0w20 available for sale. I'd like to stick with one brand. That's why I mentioned NAPA 0w20. I have NAPA store near my home and place of employment.

Every oil change video on the Gen Tacoma with the 3.5 V-6 seems to use Mobil ! Advanced Fuel Economy or Extended Performance 0w-20? I have also seen a steady supply of Mobil 1 at Walmart and other retailers.

The only problem with Napa oil is its subcontracted to a supplier, which is valvoline, well, Ashland oil at the present time I believe. I would suspect that its close to valvoline but not actually valvoline. At any given time they could change suppliers but it would still be sold as Napa oil. Mobil1 is one one of the best if not the best off the shelf motor oils and widely avaiable, Castrol is another one up there at the top. I prefer to use a name brand oil vs a store brand. Sure youre store brand is going to be a little cheaper but if you spread that over 6 months or a year are you really saving that much.

Well... 30 yrs ago during my auto shop classes. My instructor loved Valvoline and Castrol GTX. However, times have changed and so has oil formulations and engine requirements. I have no problems with Mobil 1 or Castrol... just want to stick with one brand.

I believe Mobil supplies Toyota with 0w20 for the service department? Seems like every youtube vid on Gen 3 Tacoma oil changes is using some type of Mobil 1 0w20.
I was at the yota dealer today to get a bed mat for my taco, also picked up a qt of yota 0/20 just to have. It deffinately says in the fine print on back of bottle that its blended by Exxon/Mobil. $6.16 a qt is a pretty good price for synthetic too.

Mobil 1 at Walmart runs around 25 to 30 bucks for a 5 quart jug. So... I guess if you want Toyota 0w-20, that not a bad deal?? One thing I noticed all of the youtubers are using Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0w20 for Tacoma oil changes. Castrol Edge 0w20 5quart jugs runs around the same price as Mobil 1.

Unless it's on sale, my local Toyota dealer will want "top dollar " for that Toyota (Exxon/Mobil branded) 0w20 oil.

I don't know about Toyota dealers but dealers in general kinda play by their own rules. I ask my dealer specifically what brand of oil they use on their oil changes because at least for the next 2 years thats where mine will be serviced. Had they said anything except toyota or mobil oil I would just show up with either m1 or castrol in hand. Some dealers will give you a discount on parts if you bought youre vehicle there, some sell at cost + 10%, then you have the ones that just want to screw everyone equally.

I have been running Pennzoil (w/ factory filters) in my Toyota vehicles from the beginning. My first gen Tacoma had 348K before Toyota bought it back for severe frame cancer. My 2nd gen had 212K before selling it to buy my 3rd gen. (Just passed 36K on my 3rd gen) I have never had an issue with a major engine component including burning oil or a notable loss of compression. Every 25K I get a Blackstone (oil analysis) report and have never been alerted of any issues either. LUCKY???? Maybe...... but I will keep rolling them bones while they are hot!

Back