Birthday Gifts for a Lady

B.C.

My girlfriend would really like to learn how to shoot well, and once healed, I am happy to teach her. So opinions wanted, is a rifle an acceptable gift for a lady?
I know snow shovels, brooms, and vacuums are not, I am not that stupid. But I'm also not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Looking at getting her a Sako 85 in 6.5 Creedmore.
What say you all?

How much is the Sako 85?

Prices in Canadian dollars, vary depending upon the stock, and if the long range, or finnmore. They range from $2300 up to $4800 , the one I was thinking about getting her is $2300 plus whatever a good scope costs.
If I get her a rifle it will be a Sako 85 6.5 caliber.
I just don't want to get her a gun, and her think why a gun.
Although she does like going shooting with me, and brings her own 22 long rifle. The 6.5 is common enough, decent power, low kickback. I don't let her shoot my 300 mag because I care about her a lot, and it kicks like a mule.

Last edited:
Remington 700 223!

Great rifle for sure!

But if what I do get her is a rifle, it will still be a Sako 85 6.5 Creedmore. Don't know why but I'm a Sako 85 series fan. I bought her the Henry 22 lever she has now...we were just friends then...so really anything was okay i felt.

I’ve never shot a Sako but I really want a Christensen arms rifle.

They make beautiful rifles!
If you ever come up for a visit, I will take you out shooting and let you shoot my different Sakos.

For her first real rifle, which the 22 is only sort of real, its a pop can clinker more than anything. I would just get her the synthetic stock so that she can bang it around a little more without worrying, and the shorter, lighter finnlight, as she won't be doing crazy long shots for some time.

Last edited:
only ever been bowhunter. so for my first gun ever to own, yeah its a hoot and not intimidating at all. i think most women like that aspect, at least for me anyways.

I have her shooting up to 100 yards now with her 22. The 6.5 will let her keep extending the range out until she can comfortably shoot 500 yards no problem. I'll buy her 50 boxes of Berger 140 ammo to start with and she can collect the brass and start reloading after that. She really enjoys going shooting with me as I already mentioned.

There really is no one round or one brand of rifle that is best, and the rifle B-Man recommended is a great choice. Lil G mentioned wanting a Christensen, they are also great. No real logic behind my love of Sako, I just do. Even choosing the 6.5 has no logic. Its a newer caliber, but tends to shoot fairly flat, and not kick bad. She will never hunt with it, she couldn't kill an animal, so it would be target only, so no need for huge energy, as it won't be used for even a deer, much less a moose or bison. 7mm mag kicks hard, 300 win mag harder yet, 308 is great but still kicks more than the 6.5, and on and on the calibers go...really not one is bad.

right on! you got your lady dialed in then, B.C. [emoji6] good man, good man! its great when couples can do things like that together. its one of the secrets to a lasting relationship.

My wife doesn’t hunt or really shoot. We always seem to travel for her gift . I normally slide in the spa day or massage for her. Even if we’re just gone for a weekend retreat. But I totally understand if your girlfriend isn’t in to that stuff. I gave up buying jewelry. My mother is very hard to buy for so I normally make a donation in her name to the Arkansas food bank and they send me a t shirt which I wrap and give to her. She absolutely loves it. Plus it helps people out.

Back