Black Cherry Build

TacoJoe11

Bought the truck back in February of this year with 38k...now have 50k. This is my first Tacoma, and I have a clear vision of what her to be. I have done a few mods, but have many more to come. Here's a start.

2011 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 Double Cab
photo.php

Day after I brought it home
photo.php

MODS/UPGRADES
- Anzo euro style headlights.
- Borla Pro XS muffler swap (Single in Dual out)
- Cooper AT3's 265/75/16
- ARE Cap
- Front window tint to match rears 20%
- Weathertech Floor liners and window visors
- Plasti-Dipped Stock rims - Anthracite Grey
- Plasti-Dipped emblems (besides front grill)

FUTURE MODS
- Doug Thourley Headers
- Mickey Thompson Sidebiter rims (black)
- Body Armor Rock Steps
- Billet grill insert (black)
- Anytime fog light mod
- Bilstein 5100's front/rear AAL

Possibly more ideas to come, but this is my vision for Black Cherry...

Last edited:
Borla Pro XS muffler installed at muffler shop with custom bent dual pipes.
18 in rolled stainless steel tips

Muffler and TacomaForum merch arrive the same day
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Ditched the Dunlops and got Cooper AT3's. All around great tire, but did have a lot of problems balancing, they are a heavy tire.

265/75/16
picture.php

picture.php

Wanted to get the rims sooner but didnt have the cash to shell out for any other mods, so I went a cheaper route. This should hold me over until I get the Micky Thompsons.

Plasti-dip Anthracite Grey. Covered extremely well, I was impressed with the results, and added a coat of glossifier for a little shine.

Attachments

• DSC_1323.jpg
    DSC_1323.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC_1326.jpg
    DSC_1326.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC_1325.jpg
    DSC_1325.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 135
Finally matched the tint with the rear windows. 20%
Looks so much better

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 130
Here's a step by step. I wish i took pics of the process, but there are a lot of how to vids on youtube of the same thing.

I painted the rims while still on the truck. Surely taken them off would serve as a much easier way to paint, but I didn't have the time.

Step 1
-Hosed my rims with a ammonia based solution, DYC gave me a pre-dip spray with the kit, but you can just use any wheel cleaner or even windex.
-Deep clean with a rag and q-tips so I had absolutely no dust or dirt.
-Wait about an hour for the rims to dry.

Step2
-Mask rotors, calipers, and drums to prevent overspray. You can use small kitchen garbage bags for this, just cut the bottoms off and tear down the middle to make a long piece of plastic to feed in between the spokes of the rim.
-As you are feed the bag through the rim, spread out and push up and around the back of the rotor to assure full coverage.
-Make sure the bag isn't over lapping any of the spokes or parts of the rim that you want painted, and try to keep it from touching the rim. This will prevent tears in the paint after it is removed.

Step 3
-Take your choosen color and a shake the can just like any other can of spray paint, shake well.
-Apply one very thin coat to your rim. Keep it moving around the rim and make sure to get every angle possible to assure even coverage in the end. Keeping it light will prevent unwanted drips.
-Wait at least a half an hour between each coat for drying time, I waited about an hour, but that may have been overkill.
-Continue adding more coats, remembering to keep the spray at least 6 to 8in away from the rim to prevent build up and drips.
-You will want to have at least 4 coats, I would recommend 5 or 6 for durability.
-Let rims cure over night before driving at high speeds, if you cant wait that long, at least 4 hours of curing time is needed.

Here's a vid from DYC that essentially explains everything I just listed...making this post obsolete!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlyB3FbYRRs"]PlastiDip Rims - Without Taking Wheels off the Car - DipYourCar.com How To - YouTube[/ame]

Here's a vid with the anthracite...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH7PnZH00RA"]Anthracite Grey Plasti Dip - Audi R8 Wheels - YouTube[/ame]

Yes, it's exclusive to DYC. I haven't seen it on Plasti Dip's website but I've seen some on ebay, but you never know what you're going to get. At least you know you'll get the right stuff when you order from DYC.

Installed the Anzo headlights. Love the look of the black housing and the light output is great. Wish I had a better pick...without the snow and salt, it's been a long winter.

Attachments

• photo(1).jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 197
Last edited:
They do well. I only use 4x4 in really deep snow otherwise they perform pretty well I've never been stuck. But ice is a hard one to win over

Yeah I like the tread pattern. Modest enough for low rolling resistance and deep linear lugs and siping for wet roads and trails.
Really great wet performance with these tires, I've had no loss of traction in the rain.

Back