? CAT - how to test the Cat

JayQQ97

MW surVivor ... clutched. 352k on the 0D0
could be that the old Cat under the truck is making this weird vibe I've been experiencing for most of this year
conditions when it rattles are after an hour or more wheelin' on the freeway and ambient outside temps are in the 80s 90s
3rd 4th gear nearing 3k RPM shift is usually when the rattle occurs
current mileage on truck is 337k, first noticed a queer rattle at 295k

can an exhaust shop determine if this cat is roached and i need to look into replacing catalytic converter

there has not been any trigger of the CEL yet
so IDK :confused:

It's called replacement. Really surprised your cel hasn't activated yet. My tundra cel came on just short of 180k telling me my o2 sensors, and cats were failing. I replaced them with aftermarket flow master ones which were far less money, but they ended up pretty rotted out 100k later needing a new entire exhaust system.

Last edited:
the CEL light does come on with all the other lights during ignition sequence
so the light works
but in the event it does not trigger for whatever reason
can I just get any codes read at the McParts store with their reader to see if any are pending/thrown and not triggered the CEL

Yeah, you try, and see if any codes were thrown, but I doubt thats going to be the case. I've never seen it happen. Those older trucks didn't have all the engine management systems these newer ones have where if a cel displays, your truck can go into the limp mode, or die completely if a serious enough issue.

They are, between all the computers, and nanny bs. Unfortunately it has much to do with the epa, and insurance companies. At least my tacoma with all the nanny bs to save you from yourself, my insurance premium's went way down vs the 2001 tundra.

could be that the old Cat under the truck is making this weird vibe I've been experiencing for most of this year
conditions when it rattles are after an hour or more wheelin' on the freeway and ambient outside temps are in the 80s 90s
3rd 4th gear nearing 3k RPM shift is usually when the rattle occurs
current mileage on truck is 337k, first noticed a queer rattle at 295k

can an exhaust shop determine if this cat is roached and i need to look into replacing catalytic converter

there has not been any trigger of the CEL yet
so IDK :confused:
I think your truck is old enough so you legally do not need cats. At least in my state.

I think your truck is old enough so you legally do not need cats. At least in my state.
i don't know how anyone in authority would ever find out around here LOL
there are ZERO required state inspections here, but in neighboring Missouri and Kansas i believe there are state inspections
a local exhaust shop guy did tell me once he is 'sorta' regulated to replace cats until the vehicle becomes a certain age

Here in connecticut, if the vehicle was manufactured to have cats, it's illegal to operate it without them. They don't care if 40 years old or 20. If 25 years or older you can apply for a vintage car plate which allows for cheap insurance if driven so many miles a year.

exhaust pro shop says he can test the cat at no cost

if bad a new one gonna be 450$ approx.

Best way to test a cat is to strap it to the fan. Start the engine. If it sounds like a siren, then the cat is good.

? So to test the cat you must drill a hole, stick in a probe and peek around?
Is this how to test the cat?

Get a live data reader. Monitor the O2 sensors. The upstream (pre-cat) O2 sensor will fluctuate wildly between 0 and 1 volts; that is normal. The downstream (post-cat) O2 sensor, however, should remain stable with little variation and, IIRC, should be roughly 0.4. If the computer senses variation or elevated readings from the downstream (post-cat) O2 sensor then the CEL will be activated. These readings will let you know if the cat is performing well.

Don't you have an emissions testing center, or shops in the area that are required to check it every couple years in order for your truck to be registered?

I guess uncle brandon doesn't give your state federal funds for roads, and such. Our governors are like hungry hogs at the trough. We have emission testing shops in every town, and city in our state. They even test fairly new vehicles like my taco recently. Its a $20 tax is what the fee is. What a farce for a 10 minute test.

structural + hazardous rust even goes unchecked around these parts
LMAO

Back