CB Radio

Given the frequency range, you're probably gonna have to use at least a 2 footer to get any distance. Still has to be LOS, and anything more than an inch thick will degrade signal (buildings, fences, trees, etc.). Realistically, even with a 2 footer, expect about 1.5 miles at best. Weather will probably shrink that to 1 mile, tops. Better to just get a 3-4 foot antenna if you want to get your money's worth.

So true.
The antenna is actually more important than the radio itself.
Besides a 3 footer on the fender really isn't a lot taller than the roof is, and they just flex when run into something.
I tried a stubby antenna once, absolutely useless.

Plus, Each connection will lose about 2-3 db (decibels) of path loss. Then you have your cable length. If I remember correctly, it's about 2 db path loss for every 10 feet of cable. Then you have other electronic interferences from your car radio, ECM, inverters, etc. That stuff adds up. Lol

Well, I've been trying to find a store in Asheville that sells CB radios. Nada.

Even Best Buy makes you order them. I need somebody to install it. Yes, I know, many of the members here would have no problem. Not me.

Mind me asking what the reason is for wanting the radio? Not sure about different parts of the county, but in my neck of the woods CB is almost not worth even turning on. Mostly a bunch of radios that are modded with voice effects that if you could understand anything that’s being said, it’s just a bunch of cussing and arguing back and fourth. 98% of communication is between 18 wheelers. If you are wanting a radio for emergency means like if your cell doesn’t have service where you’re at or just wanting a radio as a hobby and would like to communicate with others that have the same interest, I would look into getting an amateur (ham) radio license and a vhf/uhf transceiver. Tons of study material and information. Likely just do a search “ham radio clubs near me” and you’ll find contact info for some guidance to get you started.

Mind me asking what the reason is for wanting the radio

I'm getting ready for a trip to California (2300 miles). Thought it would break up the monotony and possibly speed traps.

So, my reasons are not essential. It's just a mod I thought would be good, especially if it's small and fits easily. In the cubby in the center or to the left of the steering wheel.

You are the second person to say that language and lack of useful info is a problem.

Would a ham license give me better information for the trip?

If that is why you want it buy a vhf radio not cb.
Or go crazy and buy a radio with vhf and uhf.

I'm getting ready for a trip to California (2300 miles). Thought it would break up the monotony and possibly speed traps.

So, my reasons are not essential. It's just a mod I thought would be good, especially if it's small and fits easily. In the cubby in the center or to the left of the steering wheel.

You are the second person to say that language and lack of useful info is a problem.

Would a ham license give me better information for the trip?

It would depend on how far away the trip is from now and how much spare time you have for studying to even consider getting a ham license. You would have to study for the test and find when the test is being held to take it. It’s not a real difficult test. Mostly rules and regulations multiple choice questions. I believe it’s $15 or $20 to take the test then you have to wait a few days after passing it before your Callsign is issued and you can start talking on the radio legally. But it would greatly offer better distance of communication because the use of repeaters especially in the mountain areas where the repeater is located higher. You can easily talk to someone that’s 50 to 100 miles away in some cases.

take the test

I have time to do the test. So, that doesn't bother me. In fact that might be cool. I'll have to look deeper onto it.

How many truckers use ham radios? Is that the predominant way to communicate cate on the road?

Or go crazy and buy a radio with vhf and uhf.

Crazy is not what I want to do. :) Unless that is predominate way truckers communicate. That's always my question.

At a local store I went to the owner said there is no question that CB radio predominates. He just provides an IT service. So no conflict.

Vhf is truckers choice of radio in most places.
Seems back east a few use CB radios, head west and its almost all vhf.
I own a lot of semi trucks, talk with truckers frequently, and not a single one has a CB.
Ladd 1, Ladd 2, and Ladd 3, are mainly used, they are Vhf channels, some use ladd 4. CB was really cool, and used a lot in the 1970s and 1980s, now its as popular as fax machines, and rabbit ear antennas for your tv.

Thanks, any particular brand?

Don't get too caught up with the brand name.
I use Tad, but they are pricey.
Any decent brand name will do fine.
Motorola, icom, kenwood, yeusae or however it is spelled.
Look at the specs a bit, the sending watts, how many channels it can store, scanning speed, and the speaker quality if your not planning to add a speaker. Buy a good antenna, not the 5 or 10 inch ones. Again, the antenna you get should be flexible so hitting stuff doesn't matter...avoid those twister brush carwashes though...they like to grab things and tear them off.

Thanks B.C. and everybody else.

I'm heading to Greenville tomorrow. Masters Car Stereo has a couple of small Undens.

Might post specs for comment tomorrow.

So I went to Greenville to look at CB radios. Uniden 510 and 520 are sweet.
The antennae is still a hang up. And the sales guy was not knowledgeable. Still need somebody I can trust to do the job.

So I went to Greenville to look at CB radios. Uniden 510 and 520 are sweet.
The antennae is still a hang up. And the sales guy was not knowledgeable. Still need somebody I can trust to do the job.

Don't over think it...it is just a radio and antenna.

Just pick any good antenna, mount it, and enjoy.

BC You're right. Problem is there is nobody within 100 miles that seems to be an expert at recommendation and install...I'm not.

Right now, thinking a Wilson 500 antenna with a Uniden 520 or 510.

Back