Certified used Tacoma and maintenance - too picky?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by righty, Apr 9, 2018.

1. righty

righty Member

This is probably a really dumb question, but please chalk it up to a general distrust of dealers and their warranties. I bought a certified Tacoma with 28,500 miles about a month ago. Part of the deal is getting regular service to keep all the warranties. I got an email from the dealer that I was due for my 45,000 service. I responded they probably had their records messed up and my car had 28k. I asked if I needed to bring it in at 30k. He responded I could do so at 33k. Seems reasonable since the truck was all checked out to be certified, BUT I have had too many negative past experiences with slimy dealers and could easily see some future day when I have a big problem and they say, "Well, you violated your contract and missed your 30k service by 3,000 miles." Should I call a lawyer? :)

Well, I did have one good experience. Long ago I had a Ford with a seriously messed up engine and they discovered this with 23 miles left on my engine warranty during a regular service visit!

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

Take it in at 30k like your manual states to.

Some dealers are better than others...
    Some service managers are also better than others.... i had a shit manager for the last cpl yrs but ive done most of my own work, now the service write i always trusted is the manager. Sometimes things work out well.

Since ur under warranty... CYA... Cover Your Ass..

HOW LONG?
    Iirc certified preowns from toyota dealers are now under 7yr/90k right?

righty, OR17TRD and Bogunn like this.
  4. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Like @Bojangles said, go at 30k. Follow your gut. Some dealerships are shady. You don’t want to take a chance for any contention.

OR17TRD and Bojangles like this.
  5. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

Those services are mostly inspections.

Bogunn and Bojangles like this.
  6. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Yurp

Bogunn likes this.
  7. Bojangles

Yeah but you know the warranty game.
    Get the inspection/services... get the fucking stamp, walk away.

Assuming op doesnt do their own work

Bogunn, whippersnapper02 and OR17TRD like this.
  8. OP
    righty

righty Member

Thanks everyone, it's good to know I'm not alone in my distrust. Yes, it has a pretty long warranty 7/100 plus bumper to bumper for 12 months.

OR17TRD and Bogunn like this.
  9. See-Tac

See-Tac Member

I have a good one. I bought my 16DCSB with 20 k. I was told it was a certified truck when i got it. Thats why i chose that truck. Just found out after calling Toyota it was not certified. Of course i came uncorked. I found out because there was no tailgate key. Toyota corp was great gave me 300.00 to get a tailgate key and remote. I went to the dealer a complained about the bullshit sale on how i was lied to.. Sales manager was apologetic. But i am screwed. Call toyota and complain. You may get somewhere.

10. Bojangles

Apologies and $300 for deceptive sales practices?

OR17TRD and kp.taco like this.
  11. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

They got off easy..

B-Man, OR17TRD and Bojangles like this.
  12. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Yep. Bastards.

tomarx2taco and kp.taco like this.