Cold weather tap

acgreen01

My 2012 tacoma 2.7l 4wd taps when it's very cold outside at start up and does it for about a minute to 2 minutes. I have only had it a year. It didn't do it last winter but I changed my oil myself until this last time and I let toyota do it and now in cold weather it taps at startup. I used a full synthetic so could be that they used a semi synthetic. Everyone says all 2.7s do this and that it's the hydraulic lifters. I plan on changing the oil myself again and using Mobil 1 full synthetic. Has anyone else experienced thos before?

Toyota calls for 0w-20......gets that oil flowing quick in cold weather. I do my own oil changes so I know what went in and it was done right. Not taking anything away from Toyota's service depts but I know my service dept does it the way I want it! Mobil1 is a good oil. Personally I use Amsoil.

I use 0w-20 and it never done it. I'm gonna start back doing my oil changes. I really don't trust oil change places. Lol. I work in a 18 wheeler dealership so I deal with stuff quick lubes do and its aggravating. I just wanted to give them a chance since its basically the same price. I'm torm between Castrol and Mobil 1 though.

I use 0w-20 and it never done it. I'm gonna start back doing my oil changes. I really don't trust oil change places. Lol. I work in a 18 wheeler dealership so I deal with stuff quick lubes do and its aggravating. I just wanted to give them a chance since its basically the same price. I'm torm between Castrol and Mobil 1 though.
Either one will work well for ya as long as its 0w-20. Only reason I chose Amsoil is price.....compared to Mobil1.....my '17OR as the others with the 3.5L takes 6.2qts......that means a 5-qt jug for around $22.....then another qt at $7-$8 and yet another for the same price to get that 6 ounces. just the 6qts comes out to around $30. I can get Amsoil for about $5/qt which comes out to about the same price and shipped to my door.

That's not a bad price. The book says mine holds 6.1 quarts but I can only get it to hold 5 quarts. I have yet to figure out where the other quart is. This is my first tacoma so it's all new to me i love the truck other then it's a base model

That's not a bad price. The book says mine holds 6.1 quarts but I can only get it to hold 5 quarts. I have yet to figure out where the other quart is. This is my first tacoma so it's all new to me i love the truck other then it's a base model
Trying to figure out the lost quart will drive ya mad. I know it sounds silly but do you have the correct dipstick? I've heard of folks losing them and getting replacements and they read incorrectly or from the wrong model/vehicle. Could be the dipstick is just plain wrong too.

Last edited:
I called my toyota dealership and asked what type of oil they use. If its semi synthetic or full synthetic and they said it depends on the vehicle. So I go get my oil filter from there and was telling the parts guy what is happening, and he asks the lube manager and he says they use full synthetic. Changed my oil Wednesday night and put Mobil 1 full synthetic extended performance 0w-20. And so far no more tap and it's been pretty cold in low 30s high 20s.

Last edited:
I called my toyota dealership and asked what type of oil they use. If its semi synthetic or full synthetic and they said it depends on the vehicle. So I go get my oil filter from there and was telling the parts guy what is happening, and he asks the lube manager and he says they use full synthetic. Changed my oil Wednesday night and put Mobil 1 full synthetic extended performance 0w-20. And so far no more tap and it's been pretty cold in low 30s high 20s.
Good deal! Glad you got it worked out!

Back