Consumer Reports Review

eagleguy

Question? Why is the 2018 Tacoma rated so poorly and as a Do Not Buy by Consumer Reports when its basically the same as 16,17,19?

Question? Why is the 2018 Tacoma rated so poorly and as a Do Not Buy by Consumer Reports when its basically the same as 16,17,19?
They don’t like Tacoma's.
There was issues with the 16-18 and the 18 got the **** end of it when it all came to head. Multiple recalls and TSB’s. It’s also the first year they added the TSS-P and that had some bugs to work out. By now they have pretty much got everything that made the gen 3 Tacoma rate poor worked out.

I would not put a lot of trust in what Consumer Reports always say. Look at the sales numbers of the Tacoma. Thousands on the road (and off), especially 3rd gen. More Tacomas out there than other trucks in this class like Ford, Chevy, Nissan, etc. We have a great truck.

They don’t like Tacoma's.
There was issues with the 16-18 and the 18 got the **** end of it when it all came to head. Multiple recalls and TSB’s. It’s also the first year they added the TSS-P and that had some bugs to work out. By now they have pretty much got everything that made the gen 3 Tacoma rate poor worked out.
What is TSS-P?

I Have a 2018 TRD Offroad and have had 2 recalls already. I have an issue with a thump in the rear end when comming to a stop. The Toyota tech who looked at it said it is the truck down shifting. I know 3 other people with Tacomas. One 2017 and two 2018. None of there trucks "down shift" and cause it. The best part is the dealer charged me over a $100 because my truck was fine.

I Have a 2018 TRD Offroad and have had 2 recalls already. I have an issue with a thump in the rear end when comming to a stop. The Toyota tech who looked at it said it is the truck down shifting. I know 3 other people with Tacomas. One 2017 and two 2018. None of there trucks "down shift" and cause it. The best part is the dealer charged me over a $100 because my truck was fine.
Sounds like axle wrap.....all Tacomas seem to have it due to the springs mounted on top of the axle. My '17 OR does it only when braking hard to a stop and when I go from that stop I can hear it.

I didnt realize TSS was Toyota safety sense. The noise and thump I feel is when I come to a stop at a normal rate but the truck is on an incline. It is noticable enough that my wife immediately pointed it out when it happened with her in the truck and thought the truck broke. It is sporatic and only happens once in a while.
I bought a 10 year 100k mile warrenty with my Tacoma so I am not going to worry about it until it gets worse. I dont wamt the dealer to charge me again for looking at it. I only have 12k miles it.

I didnt realize TSS was Toyota safety sense. The noise and thump I feel is when I come to a stop at a normal rate but the truck is on an incline. It is noticable enough that my wife immediately pointed it out when it happened with her in the truck and thought the truck broke. It is sporatic and only happens once in a while.
I bought a 10 year 100k mile warrenty with my Tacoma so I am not going to worry about it until it gets worse. I dont wamt the dealer to charge me again for looking at it. I only have 12k miles it.
Drive it and enjoy!

I think consumer reports just loves to hate the standard. I read one of their articals where they were comparing the new ranger, Colorado, and tacoma. The whole article was this one does this better than the tacoma and this one does this better than the tacoma, but in the end they decided that Tacoma beat the others overall.

Back