Distracted??

Rock62

Be careful driving.

Based on a 2020 study from Forbes more than 324,000 people were injured due to distracted driving. Cell phones and social media as leading causes.

Consider...... at 70 mph you're travelling over 102 feet every second. Best human reaction time is 0.19 seconds to just recognize a problem, nearly 20 feet. Braking distance from 70 mph to stop is nearly 250 feet. So you would need a minimum of 270 feet to stop from 70 mph after identifying an incident under the best conditions.

I'm sensitive to this issue because I was rear-ended while on my motorcycle waiting for a traffic signal. Fortunately, my riding gear did its job, I overnighted in the hospital for observation. The bike was complete loss. Driver was texting. Witnesses and cell phone records confirmed. I landed on the hood of the car and my helmet smashed the windshield. Driver's insurance had a pretty hefty settlement to me for the bike, my riding gear and the hospital plus the damage to the car. Don't know if the driver received a violation because I was in the ambulance.

For you and everyone else on the road.......park the cell phones. Nothing on the phone is more important.

Sorry, I'm a bit preachy on this subject. Do what you will with this information.

Last edited:
vehicles that are Way Too Soundproofed coupled with an abnormally loud radio whatever i would also point to a cause of not hearing sirens and or train whistles

i assume many are on their cell phones and the GPS app trying to figure out where the heck they are going?!?

i assume many are on their cell phones and the GPS app trying to figure out where the heck they are going?!?
Don't matter. Distracted is distracted, regardless of cause.

Cell phone, GPS, radio, selfies, kid discipline, eating........

I can't find the study results, but distracted driving with cell phone has been proven as impaired as drunk driving. In my mind, both should have the same DUI penalties. After a couple infractions it should put a stop to the behavior.

stop smokin the funky weed!
that is very close to on par with DUI

Nothing new there. Back around 2010 I got hit by a lady fighting with her 2 kids in the back seat as she blew through a 4 way stop at 30-35 mph. It did a number on my tundras bed, leafs, and rear axle requiring all new parts. If I'd been though that intersection a few seconds sooner, there be no damage. You should have seen the front of her car, it had to loaded on a flat bed. Lucky no one was hurt. Even my truck was facing nearly 180 degrees in the other direction.

i was 'distracted' at the bp gas pump once in Missouri and so was the 'distracted' guy walking out of the store and through the middle of the island pumps
he was basically in my blind spot as i started the truck and was ready to clutch on out

if i had a crappy Automatic i most likely would've ran right smack into him walking mere feet in front of a running engine in a blind pump spot, it was that close

So I'm curious.................

Is taking pictures of an odometer at 70+ mph considered distracted driving????

Generally, when an AT is placed into gear, a foot should be depressing the brake pedal.

Feet on the gas and brake pedal at the same time??
That makes no sense!

Nope.......

Right foot used for the throttle or brake, but not at same time. Left foot is used for walking or keeping time with the tunes.

You really don't know anything about an AT. No wonder you have so much trouble with one.

Any chance you'll answer the question I posed about odometer pics at 70 mph. Is it distracted driving???

Last edited:
Feet on the gas and brake pedal at the same time??
That makes no sense!

The few times a drive a automated tranny car/truck I left foot brake. Been that way since drivers ed in school in the '90s. Two pedals, two feet. No crashes or accidents.

That just sounds awkward AF,!

The few times a drive a automated tranny car/truck I left foot brake. Been that way since drivers ed in school in the '90s. Two pedals, two feet. No crashes or accidents.

Where did you go to HS ? They didn't teach that tactic in my Driver's Ed class.

Perhaps it is a regional or generational thing this driving with two feet. But that's the way I drive around town or in heavy traffic. On the open highway I still left foot brake but I don't cover the brake as I would in heavier traffic.

Of interesting note, on the radar enabled cruise control I've had folks cut me off and it has responded much faster than a human could. It's saved me from a couple of accidents. In one, the driver apparently fell asleep and crosssed several lanes before hitting the K rail.

Perhaps it is a regional or generational thing this driving with two feet. But that's the way I drive around town or in heavy traffic. On the open highway I still left foot brake but I don't cover the brake as I would in heavier traffic.

Of interesting note, on the radar enabled cruise control I've had folks cut me off and it has responded much faster than a human could. It's saved me from a couple of accidents. In one, the driver apparently fell asleep and crosssed several lanes before hitting the K rail.
I guess it could be a regional thing. There's even a few nascar drivers who use their left foot for the brake pedal. It's just odd to me.

Back