Do rear brakes auto adjust?

GregM

Please tell, is it true one can "auto adjust" the rear brakes on a 2014 Tacoma by following this procedure: "roll backward a bit, engage e-brake to stop, repeat until adjusted"?

it certainly seems plausible

it could also be a factor if and how far out-of-adjustment they are by not keeping up the habitual of applying e-brake on a regular basis

it certainly seems plausible

it could also be a factor if and how far out-of-adjustment they are by not keeping up the habitual of applying e-brake on a regular basis
Thank you for your ideas. Good points all. It makes sense for me to more regularly apply the e-brake fix. Why not? Good idea.

Because I thought the brake pedal traveled too far to engage the brake, I took off the rear wheels to inspect the brake shoes. I did this at 74K miles. The leading shoe was at 3mm (the "yellow" zone), but an apparently competent Les Schwab brake tech told me 3mm is still okay and should last for a while. Since I drive my Tacoma infrequently, his prognostication seems all the more likely to be true.

Maybe it is the case that brakes on a 2014 Tacoma (gen2?) tend by their nature to travel what seems to me to be a too-long distance. Maybe? I don't know. Wish I knew more.

Worst case, I suppose, I order parts, turn down the drums, get on YouTube, put it all back together, and keep on keeping on.

Thanks for getting back.

Greg

Please tell, is it true one can "auto adjust" the rear brakes on a 2014 Tacoma by following this procedure: "roll backward a bit, engage e-brake to stop, repeat until adjusted"?
Drum brakes have be self adjusting for decades. Its when the star adjuster inside the drum starts seizing up you'll likely need to manually set them.

Oh please save me from the wrath of the lesser-Toyota-god who would inflict on me the need to do the full cable-replacement job. But who knows? (I'll keep this YouTube lesson in my file.)

What I may do first, and this video you sent suggested it, is to remove the shift-lever panel to see what's what. Maybe I can take up any cable slack, although the foot pedal clicks pretty close to the number of clicks the Haynes Repair Manual instructed was proper. Or, was it my wife who told me what's proper? And then again, the clicks may have nothing to do with brake-pedal travel?

This project will keep me off the streets and out of the bars for awhile.

Thank you for the video.

Greg

Back in 2020 I asked the dealer if these newer trucks still had the dreaded parking brake cable issue....unfortunately told yes.

Drum brakes have be self adjusting for decades. Its when the star adjuster inside the drum starts seizing up you'll likely need to manually set them.
I'm gaining ground if today I'm only out of sync with the rest of the world by but a few decades.

So, like the sheriff in NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, I will deduce from what you wrote that backing up my Tacoma and applying the e-brake is a viable solution for what I think is a problem. This is good news.

And besides, doing this exercise repeatedly and at various speeds in front of our home will keep the neighbors guessing and at a respectful distance. It's all good.

Thank you.

Greg

is this rig an automatic transmission?

since i have MT i have to literally always apply the ebrake especially when left idling in neutral
wish it to not ever fail :eek::eek::eek: ... or there she rolls away

Back in 2020 I asked the dealer if these newer trucks still had the dreaded parking brake cable issue....unfortunately told yes.
I think you, and the dealer you talked with, are telling me my Tacoma's brake-pedal issue is pretty much universal in 2014 models and should be expected. If so, it seems I would be wise to accept what is reality, and, instead, focus more on when to replace the rear brakes.

So this takes me back to what the kind brake tech at Les Schwab told me; that with 3mm remaining on the leading brake shoe, my Tacoma is okay for a little while longer.

Or maybe not. What might be your thoughts in this regard?

is this rig an automatic transmission?

since i have MT i have to literally always apply the ebrake especially when left idling in neutral
wish it to not ever fail :eek::eek::eek: ... or there she rolls away
Yes, my Tacoma has an automatic transmission. And from what you tell me about your experiences and your normal practice, it seems apparent I need to add the back-up-apply-parking-brake practice to my routine, too. Maybe every time I drive the truck. Shoot, I can do said drill when I back it our of the garage. Perfect. Good idea. Thank you.

You could probably save yourself some time and be sure the rear brakes are properly adjusted. Then check if the Parking Brake is working.

Simple procedure.

You could probably save yourself some time and be sure the rear brakes are properly adjusted. Then check if the Parking Brake is working.

Simple procedure.
While I'm certain the parking brake is working, I am not at all certain the drum brakes are properly adjusted. And this seems to be the core issue.

I'll get up to speed on the proper procedure for adjusting rear drum brakes and then give it a go.

Thank you.

Greg

Basically, lift the rear off the ground. Find the star adjuster wheel under a rubber plug on the inboard side of the drum. Turn the star until the rear wheel begins to drag when turned. Then back the star off a bit until the rear wheel turns free.

The only part that needs to be removed is the rubber plug on the inboard side of the drum.

Wheel does not need to be removed.

I think you, and the dealer you talked with, are telling me my Tacoma's brake-pedal issue is pretty much universal in 2014 models and should be expected. If so, it seems I would be wise to accept what is reality, and, instead, focus more on when to replace the rear brakes.

So this takes me back to what the kind brake tech at Les Schwab told me; that with 3mm remaining on the leading brake shoe, my Tacoma is okay for a little while longer.

Or maybe not. What might be your thoughts in this regard?
Under normal driving conditions these toyota drum brake shoes never seem to need replacing unless towing or carrying big loads on a regular schedule.

Wheel needs to be removed and drums pulled to lubricate pivots on the shoes to backing plate?

Don't forget to install a new brake drum gasket!
"Drum gasket," yeah sure. I thought you were pulling my leg, and next you would offer your favorite recipe for Purina Unicorn Chow. But no. Mother Internet produced pictures and general information on "drum gaskets." I keep learning. Thank you.

Back