Engine tick?

johng813

My 08 has about 180,000 on it but it makes a weird ticking noise since I've got it? Doesn't cause problems, just makes a ticking noise? Anyone else got this problem?

My 08 has about 180,000 on it but it makes a weird ticking noise since I've got it? Doesn't cause problems, just makes a ticking noise? Anyone else got this problem?
Yea from my experience all toyota motors have that ticking noise, couldnt hurt to take to a mechanic and make sure its not the rods or something in valves. Id think lifters if it was a ford but we dont got lifters

Yea from my experience all toyota motors have that ticking noise, couldnt hurt to take to a mechanic and make sure its not the rods or something in valves. Id think lifters if it was a ford but we dont got lifters
It's faint but there. My 97', 09' and 2012 had/have it.

Mine has a slight tick at 165,000 miles. Stopped when I started using Valvoline/NAPA 5w-20. Quality oil will keep your Toyota running!!!

Mine has a slight tick at 165,000 miles. Stopped when I started using Valvoline/NAPA 5w-20. Quality oil will keep your Toyota running!!!
5w-20? You sure that's the best idea? I'd just run what the manual says which is 5w-30

My 2009 2.7 l 4cyl... says 0w-20 0r 5w-20..... Always use weight spec.ed for the engine. I think the 6 cyl. takes 5w-30?????

Ohh never mind I though you had the 4.0 v6. Because that takes 5w-30. I have no experience with the 4cyl's.

I have been using NAPA oil....

The NAPA stores here in my area of the country are donating 10 cents of every quart purchased to veteran's charity. It's made by Valvoline.

Their own store brand...
1193_747352.jpg

I'm not sure if it is recycled.... looks almost clear/ light blonde in color from the bottle. Made in Ashland, Ky USA. Seems to keep my engine running smooth and quiet. Just got 23 mpg towing a 1500 lb boat and gear 400 miles North to Ontario.... 2009 Tacoma ran like a Swiss watch!!!

Last edited:
Back