Fenwick's "Build": The Resurrection of Stonewall Jackson!

The Fenwick

Hilbilly
THE RESURRECTION OF STONEWALL JACKSON!

This thread is dedicated to the work I am starting on my truck- a complete tear-down and rebuild. For those unfamiliar with my truck, his name is Stonewall Jackson, after a Confederate general, and he is a '96 2WD Xtracab. Bought him for $250, not running, (sitting since 2008-09 or so) blown head gasket to say the least, but with a full set of mags (along with the steelies on him) and a nice tan MPULSE camper shell. I want to document what we (me and my best friend) do to this truck to bring it back to life, thus, the Resurrection of Stonewall Jackson! Trying to get the truck on the road before I leave for boot camp, if indeed I do get accepted into the Coast Guard.

Pulled Stonewall Jackson into the garage last night with the 4-wheeler to start tearing him down. Took off the hood and grille, drained the fluids, and we were in the process of taking out the radiator (my buddy) and undoing the exhaust downpipe (me) when we had to call it a night. We will resume working on it today when my buddy gets off work, so that is it for now. Fenwick is excited, yo!

The day I brought Stonewall home
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
And here's last night, when we got him in the garage!
picture.php

The head gasket is definitely blown- the oil was thick and clumpy, and was the color of my dad's coffee when he puts too much milk in it. When I dropped the bolt from the pan to drain the oil, it bubbled and lumped up at the hole for about ten seconds before it started falling, so that tells you how clumpy and full of trash it is. Chased the oil with some gas to get it out, since gas will evaporate.

Finished getting everything out of the Engine bay that was in the way. Had to completely cut all of the belts off- they were more or less melted/stuck onto the pulleys, really cracked and whatnot. The fuel left in the lines smelled rank- definitely old. Tranny fluid was pretty much black, but no trash. Everything actually came out surprisingly easy. The hoses were all in pretty good shape, surprisingly. I was quite pleased how easily everything went. Got the motor out on a hoist, and we pressure washed it today (plugged up all of the places water could get in, of course) because it's so much nicer to work on something clean enough to be able to tell what you're doing, haha.
Gonna check out/remove the head and send it to the shop down the street hopefully tomorrow.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I win! And no, this time, the motor did not fall on my head!!

Back