Finding Good OffRoad Trails

Here's an example of using Google Maps in Satellite Mode to look for off road trails in my back yard.

SanJoseTrails1.png

So, this starts the process, but zooming in clarifies things ...

SanJoseTrails2.png

There's one problem left to solve. How can one determine access rights to these trails?

Zooming in further might show up cattle guards and gates that show that the land is private ranch lands or it may well be that you gotta make a trip to the local area and ask around.

Sometimes the investigation can be disappointing. Here's some further info on the above satellite maps.

SanJoseTrails3.png

Yep, it's a county park with hiking trails for pedestrians and bicycles. Other data indicates that mountain biking is on the activities listing.

Sometimes you get disappointed.

I love google earth for scouting particular areas for trails, but now that you've targeted areas of interest it's time to door knock for the right to pass thru, some areas are gated but that doesn't always mean no access, you have to physically get out there & see if theres public access...

I love google earth for scouting particular areas for trails, but now that you've targeted areas of interest it's time to door knock for the right to pass thru, some areas are gated but that doesn't always mean no access, you have to physically get out there & see if theres public access...

Ooo-rah! Keep looking and you will be rewarded ...

HollisterHillsSRVA1.png

Hollister Hills State Vehicular Recreation Area? Gotta get a closer look at this ...

HollisterHillsSRVA2.png

Whoa! Spaghetti roads! Let's look at the satellite view ...

HollisterHillsSRVA3.png

State? What have I found here?

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1179
Hollister Hills offers recreation for motorcyclists, 4-wheelers, picnickers, and campers in the Gabilan Mountains just an hour’s drive from San Jose. Park elevations range from 660 feet to 2,425 feet.

This sounds like a little piece of off road nirvanna.

Use permit fees apply: $5/day and $50/year for residents. $30 fee for non California residents.

But there's more ... If you just go to http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/ , there are no less than 8 additional state run SRVA parks in California, clean and well managed with picnic areas, etc.

That's a big chunk and it doesn't even include BLM lands, county off road parks and private lands.

And it suggests that similar things likely exist in other states.

Back