Flex Fuel conversion

Taco-Maker TMMTX

Ok so I'm watching this documentary on Netflix called PUMP. Apparently all gasoline vehicles can run on ethanol, gasoline or methanol. It's just a software thing. There are no mechanical differences in the engines.
There's a company that sells a piggy back for the ECM for $350-$450.
I would love to research this and tell the community about how we can stand together and cut our dependence on foreign oil.
If anyone has heard about this or even installed it on their vehicle please share.

Here's their website.
http://www.fuelflexint.com/web/

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Taco Forum mobile app

Last edited:
In order to cut our dependence on foreign oil, I support fracking in the US and offshore drilling.

Flex fuel is just alcohol which is crap. Less BTU's per gallon means lower mileage. Alcohol absorbs water which will ruin just about every part of your fuel system. Alcohol will ruin most rubber fuel system components unless the vehicle is specifically equipped to handle it. Read your owner's manual to see what percentage of alcohol your vehicle can use without damaging some very expensive parts that will not be covered under warranty. Alcohol based fuel also results in higher emissions.

A good way to reduce your personal consumption of imported oil would be to trade in your Tacoma and get a much smaller, more fule efficient vehicle like a Yaris.

Well pretty much everything you just said is a direct contradiction of what was in the documentary. I guess they are just flat out liars.
And the guy in the documentary that had the Chevy that ran over 40k miles without any problems, I guess he's just lying too.
True alcohol absorbs water vapor if it's in an open system such as a boat. A car/truck system should be closed. And the guy at the Ford plant that said there's no difference in the flex fuel vs. the regular gasoline engine. Is he too mistaken?
Give the doc a watch.
It's pretty interesting.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Taco Forum mobile app

If you look at the back of a Chevy, most are equipped to handle E85 and say "flex fuel" on the back. Is your Tacoma similarly equipped?

Brake systems are closed too. They contain alcohol based fluid and it gets contaminated with water and ruins braking components. Your fuel system is more open than your brake system. Have you ever been involved in handling bulk fuel? I have. Even with vapor recovery systems, fuel is exposed to the elements, that is why they use water separators. The problem with alcohol is you can't separate the water as it gets incorporated into the alcohol.

Please, by all means, let Netflix be your guide and run your Taco on E85. It will leave more gasoline for me to burn in mine.

Another "feature" rarely mentioned by alcohol fuel proponents, you are taking a food product and using it for fuel. So,in a world with not enough food, and plenty of petroleum, you are literaly taking food out of the moths of people by driving the price of it out of their reach. The price of corn doubled with the increase in E85 production. Who did that help? The corporations behind big agriculture like ADM. Who does it hurt? The poor, the people who are actually poor in underdeveloped countries, not the "poor" like we have in the US with satellite TV and air conditioning. Ask someone who goes hungry in Mexico if they think doubling the price of corn is beneficial to Mankind.

Ethanol is also a negative fuel source. It takes more energy to produce it than it returns.

Like I said, if it makes you feel good, tank up with E85 and let us know how it works out for you. As for documentaries being made by liars, it happens all the time. It's called propaganda. Propaganda exists because some people will fall for it.

If you look at the back of a Chevy, most are equipped to handle E85 and say "flex fuel" on the back. Is your Tacoma similarly equipped?

Brake systems are closed too. They contain alcohol based fluid and it gets contaminated with water and ruins braking components. Your fuel system is more open than your brake system. Have you ever been involved in handling bulk fuel? I have. Even with vapor recovery systems, fuel is exposed to the elements, that is why they use water separators. The problem with alcohol is you can't separate the water as it gets incorporated into the alcohol.

Please, by all means, let Netflix be your guide and run your Taco on E85. It will leave more gasoline for me to burn in mine.

Another "feature" rarely mentioned by alcohol fuel proponents, you are taking a food product and using it for fuel. So,in a world with not enough food, and plenty of petroleum, you are literaly taking food out of the moths of people by driving the price of it out of their reach. The price of corn doubled with the increase in E85 production. Who did that help? The corporations behind big agriculture like ADM. Who does it hurt? The poor, the people who are actually poor in underdeveloped countries, not the "poor" like we have in the US with satellite TV and air conditioning. Ask someone who goes hungry in Mexico if they think doubling the price of corn is beneficial to Mankind.

Ethanol is also a negative fuel source. It takes more energy to produce it than it returns.

Like I said, if it makes you feel good, tank up with E85 and let us know how it works out for you. As for documentaries being made by liars, it happens all the time. It's called propaganda. Propaganda exists because some people will fall for it.
I wish I could like this twice.

They use methanol for racing it's far from crap. I'm looking to getting a piggy back system aswell

They use methanol for racing it's far from crap. I'm looking to getting a piggy back system aswell

If you are talking about Indy cars, it's required under the formula for Indy car racing. Indy cars produce less HP per liter than Formula 1 cars and F1 cars burn gasoline.

Also, Indy car teams and suppliers can keep better control over their supply with it being on such a small scale compared to regular consumer use.

The real answer is natural gas in it's various forms. We are lousy with it, they practically give it away and it burns very clean. Fracking is the obvious answer to energy independence and it is helping to drive down the cost of oil. This lower oil price is killing Iran and Russia which are atrocious sponsors of terrorism and slaughter people all around the world.

http://www.freightlinergreen.com/calculator

Clean burning fuels are the answer. Government subsidies are paying farmers to grow excess amounts of crops which are just being waisted why not turn that into fuel

Clean burning fuels are the answer. Government subsidies are paying farmers to grow excess amounts of crops which are just being waisted why not turn that into fuel

What? What crops are being wasted and what program is it that pays farmers to grow crops? There are programs to pay farmers NOT to grow crops, and they should be done away with. Adding more wrongs to an already long list of wrongs doesn't make anything right.

Let the free market decide. The people are free to convert there cars to run alcohol and burn it as they wish if anybody wants to sell it to them.

As for plenty of crops to power vehicles, it's not even close to being true. In fact, we'd have to grow corn on every square inch of this country just to make a dent. That includes rooftops and bulldozing forests.

There is a reason why E85 hasn't caught on. It's the same reason solar and hybrids and a whole host of other things haven't caught on. The market won't support them no matter how much tax money is pumped into fraudulent operations like Solyndra etc.

But hey, if it makes people feel morally superior to take my money to subsidize their pet project to use food that could feed people who are literally starving to death, who am I to object. the ADM stockholders and corporate farmers will make a fortune on it.

I drove by a gas company today and their sign out front said, " we have ethanol free gas". Has anyone else noticed this in their area?

I drove by a gas company today and their sign out front said, " we have ethanol free gas". Has anyone else noticed this in their area?

Yes, it's common here in the Charlotte area. It costs more, basically like premium would be.

Yes, it's common here in the Charlotte area. It costs more, basically like premium would be.
I'm wondering if this is going to become more common I know the boat docks run ethanol free. But I'm not paying $6 a gallon. Lol. I run 92/93 depending where I fill up.

Keep getting your news from fox news bud.

Well, for one thing, it wasn't Fox. For another, are you saying that all of those Berkley and other university researchers that specifically called what people like you want to do an environmental disaster, are you saying that those environmentalists from liberal institutions like Berkley, are you saying they are shills for Fox News? I mean, when an an agent of the state of Iowa, the state that lives and dies by corn, when he says the mad dash for corn production is ruining the environment and INCREASING global warming, it's pretty comical that you would suggest that Rupert Murdoch was somehow pulling his strings.

So, all of these liberal institutions and individuals are part of some great Fox News conspiracy even when it wasn't a Fox News story I linked to?

Back