Free Cargo Accessory

WiskyT

This is a really dumb "hack" that costs nothing. I don't have any pics because I've been too lazy to dumpster dive when getting off work. I did it for my '08 when I had it and need to get a couple more for my new '15.

I drive a tractor trailer. We use rubber mud flaps which get torn off with some regularity since they are dump trailers. 50,000 pounds of gravel getting dragged over a mud flap repeatedly tends to pull them off the truck. They aren't much good for anything at that point and they get tossed in the dumpster. They make great small bed mats to hold things still when you drive around. They are not a substitute for properly lashing large objects down, but if you have small, heavy things, and don't go for the lowest ET at traffic lights, they do a good job of stopping tool boxes etc from sliding around. Just throw the mud flap on the floor of the bed near the back of the cab and put your object on it. The front of the bed stops it from sliding forward and the rubber mud flap stops it from sliding side to side or backwards.

Anyway, it isn't the answer to every cargo situation, but it is pretty useful and it's free and easily reversible. Keep in mind that some mud flaps are a hard plastic and they are slippery and I doubt they would work well.

Last edited:
This is a really dumb "hack" that costs nothing. I don't have any pics because I've been too lazy to dumpster dive when getting off work. I did it for my '08 when I had it and need to get a couple more for my new '15.

I drive a tractor trailer. We use rubber mud flaps which get torn off with some regularity since they are dump trailers. 50,000 pounds of gravel getting dragged over a mud flap repeatedly tends to pull them off the truck. They aren't much good for anything at that point and they get tossed in the dumpster. They make great small bed mats to hold things still when you drive around. They are not a substitute for properly lashing large objects down, but if you have small, heavy things, and don't go for the lowest ET at traffic lights, they do a good job og stopping tool boxes etc from sliding around. Just through the mud flap on the floor of the bed near the back of the cab and put your object on it. The front of the bed stops it from sliding forward and the rubber mud flap stops it from sliding side to side or backwards.

Anyway, it isn't the answer to every cargo situation, but it is pretty useful and it's free and easily reversible. Keep in mind that some mud flaps are a hard plastic and they are slippery and I doubt they would work well.
Good call driver. I grab the ones from work when I see them laying there. I use them at the house to wipe my boots off before coming inside. The hard plastic bristles work great.

Good call driver. I grab the ones from work when I see them laying there. I use them at the house to wipe my boots off before coming inside. The hard plastic bristles work great.

I hadn't thought of those bristle ones. Good call on your part. We don't use those, so I might have to keep a box cutter handy to get some of those...

I hadn't thought of those bristle ones. Good call on your part. We don't use those, so I might have to keep a box cutter handy to get some of those...
That's all we use. Tractors and trailers. I even use them on the steps getting up in the cab. Really helps during winter to keep most of the snow out of the cab. Cut them to the same width and zip tie them on.

I drive a tractor trailer. We use rubber mud flaps which get torn off with some regularity since they are dump trailers. 50,000 pounds of gravel getting dragged over a mud flap repeatedly tends to pull them off the truck. They aren't much good for anything at that point and they get tossed in the dumpster. They make great small bed mats to hold things still when you drive around. They are not a substitute for properly lashing large objects down, but if you have small, heavy things, and don't go for the lowest ET at traffic lights, they do a good job og stopping tool boxes etc from sliding around. Just through the mud flap on the floor of the bed near the back of the cab and put your object on it. The front of the bed stops it from sliding forward and the rubber mud flap stops it from sliding side to side or backwards.

Good post i like it

Back