Front deflector thingy

RobEd

First off...
I'm loving my 2017 SR5 DC...
And of course I will slowly be modifying it to look more "Off-Road-ish."

I've already purchased the Tacoma all weather mats, and as soon as I can wear out the OEM 245/75r16 tires (or convince the wife they are too small), I will get some 265/70r16 or 265/75r16 all terrains.

In the meantime, I was studying photos of the 4x4 and TRD models and noticed that the front lower deflector was missing (or left off) and those trucks looked higher and more rugged, with the front suspension and skid plate exposed... so I removed mine this weekend, and my truck immediately looked better... more rugged (less refined and on-road-ish only, haha) and looks higher.

I thought I'd share this with you guys...

There might be issues with the change in the airflow into the engine compartment. Something to think about...I heard this question discussed before. Welcome!

Doesn't come on the off road. Most sport owners remove the air dam for more entry angle. It does open air flow to hit the holes in the control arms. You may end up having the whistling from those holes. Someone posted a link to plastic plugs either on this forum or tacomaworld. Good riddance I say. Looks better without it.

16' TRD OR DCLB Inferno

Doesn't come on the off road. Most sport owners remove the air dam for more entry angle. It does open air flow to hit the holes in the control arms. You may end up having the whistling from those holes. Someone posted a link to plastic plugs either on this forum or tacomaworld. Good riddance I say. Looks better without it.

16' TRD OR DCLB Inferno
Yes. Exactly.

Thanks.

I definitely understand that, and I'll test it out next time I'm cruising on the interstate, but it has a more rugged, masculine stance without the deflector.

Thanks for your input.[/QUOTE]

First off...
I'm loving my 2017 SR5 DC...
And of course I will slowly be modifying it to look more "Off-Road-ish."

I've already purchased the Tacoma all weather mats, and as soon as I can wear out the OEM 245/75r16 tires (or convince the wife they are too small), I will get some 265/70r16 or 265/75r16 all terrains.

In the meantime, I was studying photos of the 4x4 and TRD models and noticed that the front lower deflector was missing (or left off) and those trucks looked higher and more rugged, with the front suspension and skid plate exposed... so I removed mine this weekend, and my truck immediately looked better... more rugged (less refined and on-road-ish only, haha) and looks higher.

I thought I'd share this with you guys...
Pictures?

Yes. Exactly.

Thanks.

16' TRD OR DCLB Inferno
just removed all four mudguards. I had been contemplating this for a few weeks.

Now it looks higher and less refined. If I start getting too much mud, grime or rock chips, I guess I'll put them back on.

Okay, I may get slammed by the folks on this thread. :) But, maybe it will add to the conversation, if someone else finds this . I recently bought a 2018 4x4 Off-Road Tacoma and I'm thinking about going the other way with AirDam\spoiler since this model didn't come with the spoiler. When I was researching the Tacomas, I could have sworn I saw something on Toyota's website that the spoiler added about one mile per gallon. This is about a 5% increase in gas mileage or $2 a tank. RobEd, now that it's been a year have you noticed a difference?

Last edited:
Okay, I may get slammed by the folks on this thread. :) But, maybe it will add to the conversation, if someone else finds this . I recently bought a 2018 4x4 Off-Road Tacoma and I'm thinking about going the other way with AirDam\spoiler since this model didn't come with the spoiler. When I was researching the Tacomas, I could have sworn I saw something on Toyota's website that the spoiler added about one mile per gallon. This is about a 5% increase in gas mileage or $2 a tank. RobEd, now that it's been a year have you noticed a difference?

Welcome to the forum.
Each to their own. Almost any sizable mod you do decreases mileage anyway: tires, lifts, etc.

You might be able to make up the 5% just by the way you driver her. However, that may not be as practical since these trucks like rpm’s.

I definitely understand that, and I'll test it out next time I'm cruising on the interstate, but it has a more rugged, masculine stance without the deflector.

Thanks for your input.
[/QUOTE]

I took mine off my TRD Sport 4x4 no problems.I live in Arizona air flow not an issue.Truck Looks so much nicer

Back