Fuel door issues

BcExplorer

Just curious as this was my 2nd winter with my Tacoma on the roads. It appears as if the hinge on my fuel door has seized and doesn't open and close nice anymore. Over the last month it has been getting tighter and tighter until finally it broke today at the gas station. Anyone else notice a sticky hinge?Screenshot_20190610-194613_Photos.jpeg

Haven't even touched my fuel door yet. Not looking forward to filling up the tank, after getting used to $30ish fill-ups with the Jeep Compass. I am, however, looking forward to getting thru an entire work week, without having to stop for gas on Wednesday or Thursday.

I think you two missed when I wrote that today it broke. I even posted a picture of the hinge with the fuel door broken off??? I don't want to be coming off as some kind of a jerk or an a-hole, but why do people post reply without understanding what was actually posted?

I think people see posts of problems like yours and respond with what could have prevented it. It's too late for you, but it's an eye opener for everyone else who may be experiencing the signs you described. Don't take offense...your post has value for other people.

It was also a comon problem of the 2nd gen as well. Where do you get the truck serviced? As part of the service the door hinges and fuel door are lubed with Toyota spray grease. You can buy a new door but will have to paint it. Then come in black primer.

Just curious as this was my 2nd winter with my Tacoma on the roads. It appears as if the hinge on my fuel door has seized and doesn't open and close nice anymore. Over the last month it has been getting tighter and tighter until finally it broke today at the gas station. Anyone else notice a sticky hinge?View attachment 26191
Free up the hinge with rust cutter and get the hinge welded back to the pin

It was also a comon problem of the 2nd gen as well. Where do you get the truck serviced? As part of the service the door hinges and fuel door are lubed with Toyota spray grease. You can buy a new door but will have to paint it. Then come in black primer.

thank you for the heads up on the Gen2 being an issue as well with the hinge
i sprayed anti-salt spray / lubricant on my relatives '11 TacoJuice door for the winter, it collects a bit of dirt but definitely do not wish it to get sticky and break

do u have the part# for that spray grease?

Just a shot of fluid film on that door hinge works great, or a shot of chain lube. My 2001 tundra had the same issues .

Back