Fuel door issues

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by BcExplorer, Jun 10, 2019.

1. BcExplorer

BcExplorer Well-Known Member

Just curious as this was my 2nd winter with my Tacoma on the roads. It appears as if the hinge on my fuel door has seized and doesn't open and close nice anymore. Over the last month it has been getting tighter and tighter until finally it broke today at the gas station. Anyone else notice a sticky hinge? Screenshot_20190610-194613_Photos.jpeg

Scott Wyman and B-Man like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. texasred

texasred Well-Known Member

Liquid graphite. Spray in the seams of the hinges. Don’t overdo. Work it back and forth a little, then keep up with a small shot, working, etc.

4. Coyote501

Coyote501 Member

WD-40????

Scott Wyman and Malicious Mike like this.
  5. OP
    BcExplorer

I think you two missed when I wrote that today it broke. I even posted a picture of the hinge with the fuel door broken off??? I don't want to be coming off as some kind of a jerk or an a-hole, but why do people post reply without understanding what was actually posted?

Scott Wyman and Malicious Mike like this.
  6. Invert

Invert Member

Dude that blows... trip to Toyota. I'm in the lower mainland BC, haven't noticed any sticking of my fuel door on my 2017 but I'll be taking a look at the hinges now!

Scott Wyman, B-Man and Malicious Mike like this.
  7. Malicious Mike

Malicious Mike Well-Known Member

Haven't even touched my fuel door yet. Not looking forward to filling up the tank, after getting used to $30ish fill-ups with the Jeep Compass. I am, however, looking forward to getting thru an entire work week, without having to stop for gas on Wednesday or Thursday.

JRE, Scott Wyman and Lil G like this.
  8. Malicious Mike

Malicious Mike Well-Known Member

I think people see posts of problems like yours and respond with what could have prevented it. It's too late for you, but it's an eye opener for everyone else who may be experiencing the signs you described. Don't take offense...your post has value for other people.

Lil G, texasred, JRE and 3 others like this.
  9. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

I havent had any sticking in my hinge, but if I do notice any I'll be sure to spray some lube on it. Maybe some WD-40 or graphite as mentioned above so it doesn't break.o_O Thanks for the tip.

Lil G, texasred and B-Man like this.
  10. texasred

texasred Well-Known Member

I saw what you posted just fine. I was throwing that out if anyone else has the problem.
    Sorry if you took offense at advise since you didn’t seem to know what to do to start with.

11. Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Active Member

It was also a comon problem of the 2nd gen as well. Where do you get the truck serviced? As part of the service the door hinges and fuel door are lubed with Toyota spray grease. You can buy a new door but will have to paint it. Then come in black primer.

12. cape cruiser

cape cruiser Member

Free up the hinge with rust cutter and get the hinge welded back to the pin

13. OP
    BcExplorer

I'm getting it replaced under warranty. So the issue is being resolved. I was just curious if anyone else was having these issues. If you drive a lot in the snow keep an eye out for it. Our winter is about 4-5 monthes out of the year. And about 3-5 feet of average snowfall.

cape cruiser likes this.
  14. arm76

arm76 Well-Known Member

Yes, I can attest to this. Works great in door locks and pad locks, too.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Taco Forum mobile app

B-Man likes this.
  15. arm76

arm76 Well-Known Member

Doesn't look off to me.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Taco Forum mobile app

B-Man likes this.