Fuel economy regain

NapalmTRD

I've been lazy due to recent weather about getting my MPGs back to 20+ on my 2014 DCSB OR. I intend to "recharge" the K&N air filter, spray the MAF sensor, and clean the throttle body... Aside from doing a full Seafoam system cleaning, is there anything else that I should consider?
If any of you have used a K&N air filter with your Tacoma, what were your experiences? I was getting 20+ MPG for a few months until the MAF sensor and throttle body became coated with filter oil. Now I'm getting around 15 MPG. Time for some dirty work!!

Toyota... Longevity over luxury

I've been lazy due to recent weather about getting my MPGs back to 20+ on my 2014 DCSB OR. I intend to "recharge" the K&N air filter, spray the MAF sensor, and clean the throttle body... Aside from doing a full Seafoam system cleaning, is there anything else that I should consider?
If any of you have used a K&N air filter with your Tacoma, what were your experiences? I was getting 20+ MPG for a few months until the MAF sensor and throttle body became coated with filter oil. Now I'm getting around 15 MPG. Time for some dirty work!!

15 is about what I get running around the farm and short trips to town. Was hoping for much better when I bought this 2015 Taco. I'll try a Seafoam flush in the gas system.

I've notice the following items will get you that 20MPG your looking for........

Toyota Prius
Nissan Leaf
Tesla
Nissan Rogue
Toyota Camry
And the list keeps going. Sorry Napalm. Couldn't help myself.

My 2015 V6 4X4 double cab started out with 18 MPG but after lifting it a little and adding 33" tires on 18" wheels I am lucky to get 15 MPG. And that's both around town and highway mileage.

Last edited:
Nice jokes and all, but once I get my truck back to higher numbers, I'll just have to keep my secrets to myself :)

Nice jokes and all, but once I get my truck back to higher numbers, I'll just have to keep my secrets to myself :)

It's all good bro. Gotta have fun. I mess with people all night long up and down 95. Keeps me awake. I think the best I ever had was 22 on the hwy. I am interested to see what you do to get good gas mileage.

I've recently done a Seafoam treatment on my truck and recharged the K&N air filter. I'll cross my fingers and keep you guys posted.

Good Luck I'm cleaning my K&N tomorrow, clean Mass air flow and Throttle body. Usually just runs a bit more torquey at low end. Got a WV run Monday or Tuesday. I'll do some mileage calculations and report back!

My original gains from the filter took place after a few tanks of gas (typical over-oiled filter). By the 4th tank, I was getting easy 400+ no matter how I drove. Short trips around town, long and fast drives to the beach, it didn't matter one bit.
Some of my past posts will show that I was getting around 325 per tank even before the fuel light would go on which would give me at least 3+ gallons remaining, and that was just typical daily driving. No pussy-footin' the gas pedal or giving a **** about speed limits. I miss those days...
I understand that I now have taller, heavier tires that also cause a bit more drag with the added stance of the wheels, so I'm just looking for some type of semblance that my truck can receive comparable gains like it once had. At the very least, I would love to have my mileage be consistent per tank like it used to. I'll be content just to have a solid 15mpg across the board. None of this crappy 12-14mpg just for living another day...

My truck weighted 4025 lbs off the product line! Today with me and everything I haul full tank of gas 5,800-6,000 lbs 200-215 miles per tank of fuel!

Back