Full send Saturday!!

JDubTaco

Pulled off the side of Hwy 12 in Cape Hatteras and slid into a ditch! Tried every 4x4 TRD OR gadget I have just to dig it in as far as I could so it wouldn't move at all! Muffler just bubbling water. Tow truck pulled me out no problem, not a scratch to be found. Power washed her underneath and back to normal! Wife didn't enjoy it too much, but in the end we made the most of it with a couple beers and some live music at the local farmers market.IMG_2309.jpegIMG_2311.jpeg

Why did you pull off the highway???

For future reference......only pull off as far as the shoulder. No need to visit the ditch.

Why did you pull off the highway???

For future reference......only pull off as far as the shoulder. No need to visit the ditch.
It’s down in cape Hatteras NC. You can pull off the Highway down there and walk over the dunes to a secluded beach. Been going down there for over 30 years and never had this happen. We’ve had a lot of rain lately and I didn’t realize it was so soft until it was too late.

My buddy pulled off a secondary highway in quebec with his 1985 toyota 4x4 4 banger. Truck immediately rolled on it side. He had to call a tow shop to get him out. He later found out many of the roads up there have little to no shoulders with deep ditches just off to the side....it's to push all the snow they get into, during the hard winters up there.

Pulled off the side of Hwy 12 in Cape Hatteras and slid into a ditch! Tried every 4x4 TRD OR gadget I have just to dig it in as far as I could so it wouldn't move at all! Muffler just bubbling water. Tow truck pulled me out no problem, not a scratch to be found. Power washed her underneath and back to normal! Wife didn't enjoy it too much, but in the end we made the most of it with a couple beers and some live music at the local farmers market.View attachment 38815View attachment 38816
Glad everything and everybody turned out ok JDub. :)

Unless you were hung up, usually these trucks are pretty good getting out of those mess's. I know my gen3 has at least the poor man's posi feature that may have gotten out of there. I've tried it out, and surprisingly it works.

Yep, when they are down to the frame, it's drag them out (risking damage to all sorts of stuff) or lift them out. Or if it was a tow truck likely a combination of both.

I always try to lift in sand and mud before I drag. If you can get it back on top half the battle is won.

Here's a hint. When you even think you are stuck "STOP". Get out and look all around the vehicle then figure out the best way to get out. Most folks just try to keep going and end up stucker (is that a word?).
In my 30+ years of driving off road I have never been stuck so not too bad I guess. But you are 100% correct, I should have stopped as soon as I knew because as soon as I pulled off the road I could feel how soft it was. I stopped and put it in reverse to go back out the way I came and it just starting sliding towards the ditch. I sat there for a minute and had this vision of me gasin it in 4 wheel drive and pulling right out of there like a champ! Well, that didn't happen. Well the gasin it in 4 wheel drive happened, but not the part about pulling right out of there. Just slide right into the ditch. Just another memory to add to our collection of 23 years of marriage.

Depending on the type of mud, it can completely coat the tire until it's no more than a slick covered with clay type mud. Then you can spin those tires until the cows come home.

While not as handy as a true winch, they do work. We used to make our own. We'd take an adapter for converting single wheels to dual wheels and then just attach a rim to that. You could put it on any of the drive wheels (assuming 4 wheel drive) that was accessable. Took less than five minutes to put on the "winch" and then what ever your rigging time was. Until I got an electric winch this was in my box of tricks. Actually it stayed for quite a while after. It's still in the garage, I think up on the rafters.

Thats how sections of the 2 mile road to my home gets every spring once the frost comes out. Its like going through gooey fudge, no steering.

Back