Gas cap problems...

Discussion in '2005 - 2015 Toyota Tacoma' started by jPeg1900, Jul 12, 2019.

1. jPeg1900

jPeg1900 New Member

Hey guys,
    So about a month ago my OE gas cap on my 2010 Taco wouldn't stay "clicked" anymore when I would tighten it. As a result, the check engine light came on. Soooo I went on Amazon and found an open-box genuine Toyota (supposedly) fuel cap for about $10. Got it, tightened it, and it does the same thing. I returned it saying it was defective, and found another one on eBay, new this time. Well, this one did the same thing. I returned that one, found another one on Amazon, new, and it does the same thing!
    Finally, I said screw it and bought one from the stealership. You guessed it, same result. Has anyone else had this experience?? Is there something wrong with my truck? I don't understand what could be causing this. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. bdarnold12

bdarnold12 Well-Known Member

Maybe not youre gas cap at all. I had a gas cap light on my old f150, like you, replaced the cap, still had the light. After hours of searching I found that a squirrel had chewed a hole in the vent line from the top of the tank that goes to filler neck. Less than $5 to fix.

4. OP
    jPeg1900

jPeg1900 New Member

Yeah, I'll check further. That still wouldn't explain why the gas caps aren't functioning like they should. Like it will "click", and then "unclick". Or maybe I'm just trippin...

5. KF6NFD

KF6NFD New Member

I had a ford van with the same issue. Ended up being some dirt bag disconnected a hose underneath to siphon out the gas. Didn’t realize it until I went to put gas in it and it went all over the ground. Reconnected the hose drove around 10 min light went out.