Grease fitting on 3rd Gen U-joints??

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by BigMau, Apr 18, 2019.

1. BigMau

BigMau Well-Known Member

My former Tacoma (2009 SR5 2.7l Acess Cab) had a grease fitting at every U-joint on the front and rear drive shafts. It was very easy to maintain/lube. I only found one grease fitting on my 2017 Tacoma SR5 Double Cab 3.5l V-6. Any advise or links for servicing my 2017 Tacoma??

MMPKP likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. n7narcosis

n7narcosis Well-Known Member

Same on my 2018 DCSB OR. Rear drive shaft has no zerks. Front shaft does... Dunno why, I stared at it for a long time when I first crawled under.

My front does have two though, at both ends of the shaft, one is really hard to get to with a shield in the way.

rigboard, bburgtaco17 and BigMau like this.
  4. OP
    BigMau

BigMau Well-Known Member

Yes!! Thanks for the reply n7narcosis. Noticed the same thing last night while changing my engine oil/filter.

5. B-RI

B-RI Well-Known Member

There are 4 on my 2016 sport. If I have time tomorrow I’ll crawl under and take some pics and post them for you.

BigMau and JakeKrusen like this.
  6. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

That shield that's in the way is easily removed with 2 bolts.....makes that rear u-joint much easier to get to!

MMPKP, BigMau and n7narcosis like this.
  7. n7narcosis

n7narcosis Well-Known Member

Why, so you can tease us? 'Nah, nah, my trucks got rear shaft zerks!'

B-Man likes this.
  8. elvin swank

elvin swank Well-Known Member

I only found one on mine and the shield is easy to remove and that is the only fitting on it

B-Man likes this.
  9. elvin swank

elvin swank Well-Known Member

10. Tacomatic

Tacomatic Active Member

I couldn't find any on my 2019. Anyone with 19 were able to locate them?

11. OP
    BigMau

BigMau Well-Known Member

Yeah. Looks like the the front drive shaft has the zerk fittings. None on the rear drive shaft.

B-Man likes this.
  12. Tacomatic

Tacomatic Active Member

Nothing on the front either. Either I am blind or they removed those too?

13. bdarnold12

bdarnold12 Well-Known Member

My 2019 sr5 4x2 has none, changed oil today and checked it out.

14. Smokey16

Smokey16 New Member

My 2019 SR5 has 1 zerk on each of the front drive shaft u-jounts, none on the rear.

Taco_Rob_19 likes this.
  15. Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Active Member

It's what Toyota decided to do. There is even a recall on the 2nd gen to replace the U joints and the replacement has no grease nipple.

I'm assuming most where not servicing them so might as well do away with them.

16. robsterk

robsterk Member

I have 2 zerks on my front drive shaft. 1 on each end but they don't Pont straight down and are angled so my grease gun fitting won't engage all the way onto them. When I was trying to grease them today the grease was just sliding out of the side of the fitting instead of going into the zerk.i think I'm gonna need an angled fitting for my grease gun because I can't go straight onto the zerk.

17. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

You should be able to reach that front zerk no problem. The rear zerk is alot easier to grease if you remove the guard/shield sitting underneath the shaft. 2 bolts to remove it and makes reaching that rear zerk a piece of cake. Think they take a #12 socket/wrench.

18. robsterk

robsterk Member

Thanks for your response. I just ordered the lock n lube fitting for my grease gun. I could not get the fitting I had to fully connect to the zerk on the front or back. Each pump just spurred grease out the side of the fitting instead of going into the zerk. I fed remove the shield for the back zerk but getting my fitting onto the zerk is not a straight shot. The tip of the zerk is pointed to the side so to get my fitting over it I have to come in at an angle. I rotated the shaft by hand so the zerk should be pointing straight down by mine doesnt.

19. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Hopefully the fitting will fit for ya! I rotate the shaft to where the rear zerk is about 7:00 and is easier to get to.

Scott Wyman likes this.
  20. robsterk

robsterk Member

Update

Lock n Lube nozzle just ooozed grease from the end of the nozzle instead of going into Zerk. But I bought a Lincoln Lubrication 5803 Grease Needle Nozzle. This did the trick.

21. Ray Haefy

Ray Haefy Member

There are none on my 2019 TRD Sport. Already thinking about getting a small shop press.