Grease fitting on 3rd Gen U-joints??

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by BigMau, Apr 18, 2019.

1. BigMau

BigMau Well-Known Member

My former Tacoma (2009 SR5 2.7l Acess Cab) had a grease fitting at every U-joint on the front and rear drive shafts. It was very easy to maintain/lube. I only found one grease fitting on my 2017 Tacoma SR5 Double Cab 3.5l V-6. Any advise or links for servicing my 2017 Tacoma??

MMPKP likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. n7narcosis

n7narcosis Well-Known Member

Same on my 2018 DCSB OR. Rear drive shaft has no zerks. Front shaft does... Dunno why, I stared at it for a long time when I first crawled under.

My front does have two though, at both ends of the shaft, one is really hard to get to with a shield in the way.

bburgtaco17 and BigMau like this.
  4. OP
    BigMau

BigMau Well-Known Member

Yes!! Thanks for the reply n7narcosis. Noticed the same thing last night while changing my engine oil/filter.

5. B-RI

B-RI Well-Known Member

There are 4 on my 2016 sport. If I have time tomorrow I’ll crawl under and take some pics and post them for you.

BigMau and JakeKrusen like this.
  6. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

That shield that's in the way is easily removed with 2 bolts.....makes that rear u-joint much easier to get to!

MMPKP, BigMau and n7narcosis like this.
  7. n7narcosis

n7narcosis Well-Known Member

Why, so you can tease us? 'Nah, nah, my trucks got rear shaft zerks!'

B-Man likes this.
  8. elvin swank

elvin swank Well-Known Member

I only found one on mine and the shield is easy to remove and that is the only fitting on it

B-Man likes this.
  9. elvin swank

elvin swank Well-Known Member

10. Tacomatic

Tacomatic Active Member

I couldn't find any on my 2019. Anyone with 19 were able to locate them?

11. OP
    BigMau

BigMau Well-Known Member

Yeah. Looks like the the front drive shaft has the zerk fittings. None on the rear drive shaft.

B-Man likes this.
  12. Tacomatic

Tacomatic Active Member

Nothing on the front either. Either I am blind or they removed those too?

13. bdarnold12

bdarnold12 Well-Known Member

My 2019 sr5 4x2 has none, changed oil today and checked it out.

14. Smokey16

Smokey16 New Member

My 2019 SR5 has 1 zerk on each of the front drive shaft u-jounts, none on the rear.

15. Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Active Member

It's what Toyota decided to do. There is even a recall on the 2nd gen to replace the U joints and the replacement has no grease nipple.

I'm assuming most where not servicing them so might as well do away with them.