grease for '97 4WD Tacoma calipers

Discussion in '1995 - 2004 Toyota Tacoma' started by 4Xtruck, Sep 13, 2017.

1. 4Xtruck

4Xtruck Member

The FSM says use lithium soap base glycol grease for the piston parts and disc brake grease on the inner anti-squeal shim. I have Sil-Glyde BK-4 brake lubricant, Sta-Lube SL3301 brake caliper synthetic grease, Super Lube with PTFE (rated at 450°) and CarQuest Disc Brake Quiet #2065. Can I use any of the products I already have, or do you recommend other specific products. I have uneven wear on my pads. Primarily, the top piston on the driver's side is causing extreme wear on the top of that pad.

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

I use this stuff IMG_2850.JPG The super lube would be fine it says it's Anti Friction, Ball, Roller, Wheel Bearings, Hubs, Axles, Chassis, Shocks, Springs compatible.

Bogunn likes this.
  4. BIRDSLAYER

BIRDSLAYER Well-Known Member

I've always used the stuff at orieleys/Napa. Never really paid any attention to the contents honestly. I know that's kinda stupid on my part, but I've never had any braking issues either other than preventative maintenance stuff...

Bogunn likes this.
  5. OP
    4Xtruck

4Xtruck Member

Thank you for your feedback. Any other feedback would be appreciated, also.

6. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Sta-LubeSL3301 brake caliper synthetic grease would work as well.

Bogunn likes this.
  7. OP
    4Xtruck

4Xtruck Member

I rebuilt my calipers and replaced my pads. I used brake fluid as the lubricant for all internal caliper components. I used CarQuest Disc Brake Quiet #2065 between the anti-squeal plate and the pistons. I used Sil-Glyde BK-4 brake lubricant on the pins, between the pads and anti-squeal plates and outside of the piston boots for RH brake, and I used Super Lube with PTFE (rated at 450°) on the pins, between the pads and anti-squeal plates and outside of the piston boots for LH brake. I'll keep my eye on the brakes over time to see there is a performance difference between Sil-Glyde and Super Lube.

4wd and Bogunn like this.
  8. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

I say grease the pads & see how long it takes to stop.... haha j/k

good job as long as caliper is building/holding pressure, no leaks , etc:...

Bogunn and BIRDSLAYER like this.