Help Me! Vibrations

CJonesy89

Me and my girlfriend recently bought a 2006 Toyota Tacoma with a 4 inch fab tech lift sitting on 31.5 inch tires the truck has 208,000 miles on it and when you are driving past 45 miles an hour all the way up to highway speed there is a subtle intermittent vibration coming from what feels like the driveshaft. Since then I’ve had to drive shaft completely rebuilt I’ve had the carrier bearing replaced three times. It is eating through these bearings every 500 or so miles this is not a four-wheel-drive truck it is a 2 Wheel Dr. with the two piece driveshaft. The previous owner for some reason decided to cut out the center support and hang in their own hanger for their carrier bearing. Originally it hung too low I had it rehung 2 inches higher so the driveshaft is straighter but it still doesn’t quite match the angle the carrier bearing hang straight it doesn’t hang an angle to match the driveshaft. I cannot for the life of me figure out why I cannot get rid of this vibration. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

What do you have for wheels and tires? I had Mickey Thompson 10 ply tires that rode like junk on the highway and would shake on and off. They also had the small bbs inside the tire to balance them.

Me and my girlfriend recently bought a 2006 Toyota Tacoma with a 4 inch fab tech lift sitting on 31.5 inch tires the truck has 208,000 miles on it and when you are driving past 45 miles an hour all the way up to highway speed there is a subtle intermittent vibration coming from what feels like the driveshaft. Since then I’ve had to drive shaft completely rebuilt I’ve had the carrier bearing replaced three times. It is eating through these bearings every 500 or so miles this is not a four-wheel-drive truck it is a 2 Wheel Dr. with the two piece driveshaft. The previous owner for some reason decided to cut out the center support and hang in their own hanger for their carrier bearing. Originally it hung too low I had it rehung 2 inches higher so the driveshaft is straighter but it still doesn’t quite match the angle the carrier bearing hang straight it doesn’t hang an angle to match the driveshaft. I cannot for the life of me figure out why I cannot get rid of this vibration. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Can you post some pics of what's going on under there?

My truck does the same thing and the tires cause this bc even if you balance them there is still problems
Its never perfect the lift causes problems also even if your drive shaft angle was on point it would still be at a angle with a 4 inch difference..
"The more off road friendly you make the truck the less on road friendly it will be"

Could definitely be tires that are off balance so check that first. If you still get the vibe after doing the tires then the combo of a carrier bearing drop kit and axle shims should help a bit to get the driveshaft back to an angle closer to stock.

Carrier bearing drop kit: https://amzn.to/2ppiKQg

Axle Shims: https://amzn.to/34bV5S6

Agree when you lift your truck if you got a 2 part drive shaft the angle is changed and causes vibration at various speeds and putting a spacer at the carrier bearing helps the vubration.

Back