Helper springs

rec2570

Anyone use bolt on helper springs? I was thinking about getting a set to use when I haul firewood to prevent t looking up at the skyImageUploadedByTaco Forum1481491668.806521.jpg
I already have a 2 inch aal. Not sure if that makes a difference

I have bolt on helpers on my 93. I don't really put much weight in it so not sure how much they help. But that aal should at least make your truck a true half ton. Till they flatten out...
Your truck looks like it's holding that load up pretty good.

I have bolt on helpers on my 93. I don't really put much weight in it so not sure how much they help. But that aal should at least make your truck a true half ton. Till they flatten out...
Your truck looks like it's holding that load up pretty good.
Yeah it did ok. I would just like a more level ride when carrying a load. I just plan on bolting them on when I need them.

Why use/abuse the truck and spend more money on add-ons and also risk bed damage when you can buy a small trailer and do the same thing.

Why use/abuse the truck and spend more money on add-ons and also risk bed damage when you can buy a small trailer and do the same thing.
Good question. Mostly because right now I have the 100 something to spend on helper springs rather than the 1500 something on a trailer. I do plan on buying on a trailer but not til next year sometime

A broken rear window, a bent front bed or tail gate will cost you more than a trailer. You can find one on Craig's List for a few $100s and avoid all the possible problems.

A broken rear window, a bent front bed or tail gate will cost you more than a trailer. You can find one on Craig's List for a few $100s and avoid all the possible problems.
I'll keep an eye out for one. But the bed is made to haul stuff around right? That's one of the reasons I bought a truck. If I just wanted to haul everything in a trailer I could've just bout a RAV4 or whatever and saved some money

I just plan on bolting them on when I need them.

That's not really an option*, at least with the "bolt on" helpers I've seen. The U bolts need to come down and be replaced with longer one's with the helpers, and possibly a longer center spring locating pin, then one at the front & rear to "saddle" the factory spring. To me, your (loaded) truck looks proud with that respectable load of wood!
Are air bags available for the Taco?
* at least an hour job on each side, and U bolts are generally tossed after each use.

That's not really an option*, at least with the "bolt on" helpers I've seen. The U bolts need to come down and be replaced with longer one's with the helpers, and possibly a longer center spring locating pin, then one at the front & rear to "saddle" the factory spring. To me, your (loaded) truck looks proud with that respectable load of wood!
Are air bags available for the Taco?
* at least an hour job on each side, and U bolts are generally tossed after each use.
Stole this picture from the internetImageUploadedByTaco Forum1481858762.643953.jpgnot a Tacoma in the pic but I pic up a set just like these. The leaf bolts in top of the factory leaf pack. Takes like 5 minutes to bolt on. I'll find out if they help carry the load on Sunday when I go cut some more firewood. It's already been a chilly winter!

Here's mine I just put on.
ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1482003791.278684.jpgImageUploadedByTaco Forum1482003805.577581.jpg
Simple bolt on. I'll post pics when I'm loaded down with wood tomorrow to see If they do any good

Back