Is there such thing of a quiet bigger tire?

Discussion in '2005 - 2015 Toyota Tacoma' started by doeweb, Apr 24, 2016.

1. doeweb

doeweb Member

Hi, was wondering if a "quieter" big tire exists?

I have a 2011 Tacoma TRD off road and use my truck for city driving and weekend utv\atv trailer hauling. I have the bilstein 5100 installed and add a leaf.

Would like to get bigger tires and rims if needed but don't necessarily need mud tires?

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. texastacoma

texastacoma Well-Known Member

You can go all terrain, there will still be a decent amount of noise with them, or you can get a highway terrain, that'll be the quietest choice...

4. NapalmTRD

NapalmTRD Well-Known Member

I hear they make this thing called a Prius...

johng813, sctaco94, TacoK and 2 others like this.
  5. PinkTaco

PinkTaco Well-Known Member

Get the ats as previously said they will have some noise but nowhere near a mt

6. TacoKen

TacoKen Well-Known Member

Nitto Terra Grappler G2 285/65X18 tires on 18" wheels is what I have on my 2015 4X4. They are not loud for a all terrain tire and G2 is 10ply.

7. OP
    doeweb

doeweb Member

Thank you for the helpful info!

8. rogerry

rogerry Well-Known Member

The Firestone Destination A/T's are smooth and quiet on the road and reasonably priced.

rec2570 likes this.
  9. sctaco94

sctaco94 Well-Known Member

Hercules terra trac II a/t. Solid look, great grip, nice tread. Just solid tire overall

10. TacoKen

IMG_1431 (Small).JPG IMG_1432 (Small).JPG IMG_1433 (Small).JPG IMG_1434 (Small).JPG IMG_1435 (Small).JPG

jrct84 likes this.
  11. jrct84

jrct84 Well-Known Member

Tacoken sick tires man.. Did your raise your taco? Or is it stock?

12. OP
    doeweb

doeweb Member

Very nice tires tacoken, do you have 16 or 17 inch rims?

I ended up getting Cooper Discoverer RTX, very quiet and quite happy with the 50 miles I've put on them so far.

texastacoma likes this.
  13. TacoKen

Wheels are Balistic 18" and the front has a ProComp 2 1/2" lift, and 1" in rear.

14. Gee

Gee Active Member

I've got Firestone destination A/T's as well... Slightly aggressive but not load at all...reasonably priced and wear very nicely.

rec2570 likes this.
  15. rec2570

rec2570 Well-Known Member

I've got them too. Mounted and balanced for around $600. Pretty quiet and a 50,000 mile warranty. ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1462402150.137189.jpg

16. PinkTaco

PinkTaco Well-Known Member

Thats an a/t the tread looks like h/t

17. rec2570

rec2570 Well-Known Member

Yes the are a/t. This picture shows the tread alittle better
    ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1462482222.989637.jpg

18. OP
    doeweb

doeweb Member

Here are the Cooper Discoverer RTX, night and day difference as far as road noise. I used to have to crank up my stereo to 25+ to hear and now it's like 15. I don't do much offroading other than traveling to a parking spot for my SXS and ATV's. Very happy with them.

Attached Files:

19. johng813

johng813 Well-Known Member

You own a truck not a preius. The new 2016's are a bit less noisy but as soon as you slap an all terrain/ mud terrain it's gonna be noisy.

20. OP
    doeweb

doeweb Member

Why do people keep referencing preius?

It's great you have mud tires or whatever type of terrain tire. Everyone has different preferences and uses for their Taco.

texastacoma likes this.
  21. silverpataco

silverpataco Well-Known Member

Me like fish Tacos!