Jaw drop oil change

For around 50 bucks, I'd consider the dealership.

However, My local Toyota dealer has a habit of letting knuckleheads work the "quick-lube express bays" and I'm not comfortable have them service and properly reinstall my canister style filter element.

Read the fine print: 5k for severe service...
So.. I'm guessing 25 to 30k of mixed city and high driving. Plus, add the fact I tow a bass boat in the summer. I'll change my oil every 5-6k.
You have to remember the dealer wants to sell you a truck every 5 to 6 years or 100,000 miles.
If you read the fine print most of us fall into the severe service category from one aspect or another. On a day to day basis most of my trips are back and forth to work, which is 8 miles one way, sure every now and then there may be a 20 or 30 mile run but basically a lot of short trips.

Read the fine print: 5k for severe service...
So.. I'm guessing 25 to 30k of mixed city and high driving. Plus, add the fact I tow a bass boat in the summer. I'll change my oil every 5-6k.
You have to remember the dealer wants to sell you a truck every 5 to 6 years or 100,000 miles.
Mine was def ready to be changed at ~6500 miles, first time I let it go that long. Smelled rank, curled my nostril hairs... dirtier than expected. There were a few small road trips, a camping trip plus some crazy driving in the woods. No towing on this oil change, but 6500 was still too much on it. Mobile1 0-20 full syn. Yoda filter. I highly recommend and really hope that erryone changes it themselves at 5k max...

Just met up with a friend of my oldest son. He just purchased a 2019 Tacoma TRD sport.. He's also planning on changing oil at 5k. Oil, drain plugs and filters are much cheaper than engines and/or replacement trucks. I find Crawdad's observation of Mobile 1 0w-20 interesting?? A good number of 3rd Gen Tacoma oil change video on youtube features Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20.

Decent quality synthetic 0w-20 (SN/SNplus GF-5) specs should do the trick!!

Just met up with a friend of my oldest son. He just purchased a 2019 Tacoma TRD sport.. He's also planning on changing oil at 5k. Oil, drain plugs and filters are much cheaper than engines and/or replacement trucks. I find Crawdad's observation of Mobile 1 0w-20 interesting?? A good number of 3rd Gen Tacoma oil change video on youtube features Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20.

Decent quality synthetic 0w-20 (SN/SNplus GF-5) specs should do the trick!!
Yep, that's what I've been using too. 20190203_133020.jpeg

I'm a fan of Mobil 1 too Crawdad!! Great result in my 08 Honda Fit using the 5w-20 wt of this oil. However,some of the store brands of oil do very well. Supertech syn oil sold by Walmart has done well in testing. You could get Valvoline, Quaker State and Pennzoil 0w-20 synthetic much cheaper. I have had great luck running NAPA Synthetic in my 09 Tacoma.

I'm interested in what others on this forum are using to lube their Gen 3 engines??

I'm a fan of Mobil 1 too Crawdad!! Great result in my 08 Honda Fit using the 5w-20 wt of this oil. However,some of the store brands of oil do very well. Supertech syn oil sold by Walmart has done well in testing. You could get Valvoline, Quaker State and Pennzoil 0w-20 synthetic much cheaper. I have had great luck running NAPA Synthetic in my 09 Tacoma.

I'm interested in what others on this forum are using to lube their Gen 3 engines??
Used this in my 2nd gens and many other of my older engines. If it was on sale when I was oil shopping, it'd be in my turd gen right now. Haha20190203_135149.jpeg

The STP is 22 bucks for the 5 qt. jug. From what I understand import owners (Honda, Toyota and Mazda) have had goo luck with this oil. It is rated SN plus GF-5. The same spec.ed by the Tacoma owners manual.

Back