JBL, non JBL

No, not to JBL, specifically. Now that I got past buying a Raptor, I need something else to fill my time, and speaker upgrade caught my attention.

Haven't heard back from OEM about cost of 6 speakers. But yes, I'm betting they will be comparatively expensive.

I'll stop by the local Subaru dealer today and get a price.
Amazon has the tweeters for $97 and crutchfield is the best place to get the 6x9” and the 6 1/2”. I got the 6 3/4” for the rear doors. Total cost for me was less than $200 and it sounds so much better.
Subaru will give 10% off parts with Costco card. I’ve got them to give me 15% off a few times when I asked nice.

Total cost for me was less than $200 and it sounds so much better.

This came from OEM today (part no. 36-1025):
  • Front 1" Soft Dome Tweeter
  • Front 6" x 9" Carbon Fiber Woofer
  • Rear 6.5" 2-way Coaxial Carbon Speakers (featuring 1” Tweeter)
Available for $599 shipped (Within continental US).

Are OEMs $400 better than Kickers?

Are they any better?

This came from OEM today (part no. 36-1025):
  • Front 1" Soft Dome Tweeter
  • Front 6" x 9" Carbon Fiber Woofer
  • Rear 6.5" 2-way Coaxial Carbon Speakers (featuring 1” Tweeter)
Available for $599 shipped (Within continental US).

Are OEMs $400 better than Kickers?

Are they any better?
For me not $400 better that’s why I did the kickers. They are a solid speaker upgrade. I’ve been very happy with the output of them.

crutchfield is the best place to get the 6x9” and the 6 1/2”. I got the 6 3/4” for the rear doors.

The Kickers need an adapter for the doors. Did you use the same adaptor as for the 6.5 speaker, or is there a different one for the 6 3/4" speakers?

And did you apply any insulation or sound reading material to the doors?

Oh yeah, I asked OEM Plus to tell me why there speakers are worth $200 more. No answer yet.

The Kickers need an adapter for the doors. Did you use the same adaptor as for the 6.5 speaker, or is there a different one for the 6 3/4" speakers?

And did you apply any insulation or sound reading material to the doors?

Oh yeah, I asked OEM Plus to tell me why there speakers are worth $200 more. No answer yet.
Purchased the speakers from Crutchfield and the wire harness for the speakers came with them at no cost. I’m guessing the harness is the same for all the speakers. It’s the factory toyota end that is required. The speakers have a standard 2 prongs on them.

I just did this install today. Had to modify the speaker harness slightly as one of the 4 holes on my kicker speakers didn’t align.

And something I learned today — the small white prongs (v-shaped) that you see when you remove door panels — pull them out and clip them back to the trim piece you removed for easy install back.

I learned the hard way and had to disassemble the door to find the pieces I accidentally pushed through when trying to put it back normally

I installed
1. Focal 6x9 front doors (Crutchfield)
2. Focal 6 1/2 rear doors (Amazon)
3. Pioneers front tweeters (Amazon)
4. 12 inch sub (Bazooka sub speaker - Taco Tunes sub case)
5. Taco Tunes amp
6. Clarion EQ (Amazon)
7. Receiver to amp wire harness, Tweeter wire harness & installation adapters.. all from Tacotunes.

All about $1000

Just did a little at a time. Started with speakers and moved on from there.

Back