Lift pros and cons?

Bsl1706

Thinking if lifting my taco next year. Looked at the options on toytec but still wondering what the pros an cons are. Ya it looks sick lifted but will I get a smoother ride driving on the road? Do I need to worry about gear ratios or anything like that. It's my first new vehicle an I don't wanna do something negative to it so any help and insight is needed. Thanks

Like with anything else, if you over do it you will have issues. Also the quality of the lift you choose will determine ride quality. Spacers will give you a crap ride. 6 inch lifts usually give a crap ride and they require crossmember cutting. Larger tires reduce MPGs and power available to move the truck. Too big and you will need to regear which costs more money. Also hopefully your trucks looks good and not sick when your done.

What would you recommend for a lift? I'm looking to do suspension not body. Not 6" just 3". As for tires I wouldn't even know where to start cause idk what would determine what size I could or couldn't fit on it. I'm worried about factory warranty too so idk I'm mechanical but not with vehicles and your right I want it to look good an I'm not worried about mpg

After being out of the 4wheeling hobby for over 10 years (85' 4runner 9' lift w/39' boggers) ive gotten myself a 08 DCLB 2 years ago and slowly been showing interest again. I was in your shoes this past year deciding and debating lifts. There are alot of Tacʻs here in Hawaii and i approached alot of them with leveling kits to 9" lifts on their rigs. I do alot of trail riding and hauling in my family & camp gear. Stock i would bottom out, hit my rails, you name it. So i looked into what would suit my needs best. After visiting my local off-road shop, comparing other Tacos & lifts (brands) and doing my own research i decided after 6months iʻd go with the basic 6" BDS lift. Mods are required and from my personal opinion its as near stock a ride. Of course i will be doing other upgrades (brake rotors/pad/lines) all in regards to safety. I learned from my 85' which was more a show-truck that i need practicallity in this taco. Looks good, perfoms good. Good luck!

Oh, like whip mentioned, the bigger thevtire u lose MPG and power. On my 85 i regeared to 5.29's. It brought it back to near stock but the weight was still there. Handling and steering take its toll too. For my taco i got 33x12.5 mickey mtz baja radials, so far ive only got 150 miles on it and they are pretty good. Friends of mine have used Nittos, BFGoodrich, pro comp. To each there own i say.. Also backspacing on your wheels is crucial. Ive got full steering left or right without rubbing issues ( removed front mud flaps and trimmed inner mud skirts) these 33's dont seem to be to much for my stock steering, yet. Highway use, its expected to be a bit rough overall, but no complaints with my lift and tires.

Whipper thanks for that web site very informational. I'm still a bit concerned about making a wrong choice on what to get cause it makes out to be an expensive mistake.

5100s with or without Eibach coils for the front. You will need upper arms if you go the full 3 inches. 5100s with an AAL for the rear. You may need longer rear brakes lines.

You can't go wrong with that setup. Call Downsouth Motorsports and they will set you up with what you need for a good price.

I'll have to touch base with them. I'm seeing this stage 2.5 icon lift kit on toytec.com where it seems to be complete for everything the link says and what your sayin I think? It seems costly but I'm an Firm believer in you get what you pay for an I don't wanna sell myself short cause I'm either all In or not ya know

If I need new upper control arms wouldn't that be the route to go? I hate to ask probably the easy questions but I'm new to this

Thanks for your input whipper! I didn't see the tabs with options on other kits that say add uppers at X price. I appreciate you sharing the knowledge

I'm not seeing any options for long bed. I'm guessing it doesn't matter if it's short or long bed with the kits ?

I asked my service advisor at the dealership if Toyota could install one so I wouldn't void my warranty, he said "Your better off going with Skyjacker and don't worry, you won't void your warranty"

There really is no difference with lift kits if it's long bed or short. The issue with the warranty is if the dealer thinks the lift caused the damage or issue with the truck. If they instal the lift then you won't have to worry about that. I went with the arb full lift kit with the rear leaf packs. I'm loving it so far only complaint I have is the shock bodies don't seem to like the north east winter

Now with these lift kits where it says it's adjustable 0-3" does that mean I can have it lifted most of the year an day in the winter time lower it back down with the adjustment an out the stock wheels on for the truck to fit in the garage ?

You could be then your alignment would be off anytime you changed the height. Also only coilovers with threaded collars can be adjusted while on the truck. 5100s have to be broken down for the preload adjustment.

Now with these lift kits where it says it's adjustable 0-3" does that mean I can have it lifted most of the year an day in the winter time lower it back down with the adjustment an out the stock wheels on for the truck to fit in the garage ?

but you won't be able adjust the rear

the rear is held up by the leafs

Back