Manual trans — trouble shifting into 1st

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by warmfuzzies, Dec 4, 2018.

1. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Well-Known Member

Searched and couldn’t find any threads so asking this forum:

Anyone with a manual trans ever find themselves not being able to shift into 1st from neutral?

It’s happened to me a few times where I find myself stuck at a green light trying to shift into 1st but can’t. After enough tries it finally goes in but it’s happened enough times now I’m starting to think somethings up.

3700 miles, 18 OR

OR17TRD likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

With that low miles and being so new I’d take it in and see what they say.
    I had an old toyota that did that. If I pumped the clutch a couple times then pushed it in all the way then put it into gear that would work or if I put it in second and then up onto first it would go in easy. Tring to go straight into first was tough sometime so I got into the habit of pumping or down then up then go. Im going to assume you’re making sure the clutch is all the way down?

geekyadam likes this.
  4. OP
    warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Well-Known Member

Oh yeah definitely depressing the clutch all the way.

Haven’t ever experienced this in the other manuals I’ve driven (non-Toyota) so likely the truck.

Trip to the dealer it is

OR17TRD likes this.
  5. Crawdad

Crawdad Well-Known Member

Mine occasionally does what you're describing but so has every other manual I've driven, if it doesn't go in smoothly the first time, simply let the clutch out a little in neutral to spin the input shaft just for a split second and as you press the clutch pedal back down it should slide right in... you should also do this BEFORE the light turns green... lol

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    geekyadam, B-Man and OR17TRD like this.
  6. pauljboudreau

pauljboudreau Active Member

My problem at red ligth is that i want 1rst gear, but often shift in reverse, deaf as a stick, can’t hear the darn beep with radio on. Feel weird going the wrong way. No accidents yet , i now watch the screen to make sure it is in first

B-Man likes this.
  7. geekyadam

geekyadam Well-Known Member

I agree with the "go to second then to first" as well as "pump the clutch once while in neutral then try again".
    I bought my 2017 MT Sport new and had to wear in the clutch but that didn't take long. And sounds like you've been driving it for awhile, so should already be broken in, so ultimately, if I were in your shoes, I'd take it to the dealer for sure.

8. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

So you're saying that if u were test driving a new vehicle off the lot and you were told to do this dance in order to find 1st gear by the salesman, you would be completely fine with that?

@whippersnapper02 be sure when u buy ur new vehicle to do the 1st gear dance

9. geekyadam

What? No, I said he should take it back to the dealer to have it looked at. In the meantime he can try the dance until he gets to the dealer. If it was a matter of trying the dance vs slamming into gear, grinding something, I'd at least give the dance a try. Maybe you disagree.

10. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

Oh, I thought u were saying u had to do the same for awhile. Misread.
    I'd def go back asap too

11. geekyadam

No I just had to wear in the brand new clutch when I started driving it. Smelled like I was burning it out even when bring super soft with it. Turns out it's normal for brand new clutches, I just never drove a brand new clutch for more than a 10 minute test drive. Never specifically experienced this stuck 1st gear issue. Except maybe when it's really cold and I don't let it warm up first. Gotta give her a little nudge into gear, but just a little love nudge and then she's good.

12. Joisey

Joisey Well-Known Member

I'm not directly familiar with the Toyota clutch, but in general, it sounds like the clutch isn't fully releasing, making it difficult to shift into first gear. Does your Toyota use a hydraulic clutch? If so, there may be an adjustment to be made or less likely, an air bubble in the line giving you less throw to release the clutch.