Moog vs. OEM

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by vwgtiturbo, Aug 7, 2018.

1. vwgtiturbo

vwgtiturbo Well-Known Member

Recently, I decided to look into replacing my OEM sway bar links and tie rod ends. Looking on Camelback Toyota's site, each link is $130, whereas the Moog pieces are $35??

While I have no problem paying for a better performing part, I recently went to a single income household, so I'm a little more... Aware, of what is leaving the account.

Does anyone have experience with these Moog parts? I'd rather get the OEMs, if they last 155k like my originals, but if the Moogs are decent, then it may be a smarter option...

Thanks in advance!

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Crawdad

Crawdad Well-Known Member

Moog is good stuff. I'd buy Moog before OEM, personally.

OR17TRD and vwgtiturbo like this.
  4. OP
    vwgtiturbo

Thanks for the feedback. While I'd like to keep my old girl tip top, it just blew me away seeing the price differences. If the Moog pieces only last a year, then I could totally understand springing for the OEM parts. But if that isn't the case, I have a hard time justifying OEM parts at this point in time.

5. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

+1
    Moog made quality in the past. I haven’t used their products in the last few years. I’d do the Moog $35 vs the $130. If they lasted 50k Miles vs 130k you’d still be ahead minus the labor and time.

Crawdad and vwgtiturbo like this.
  6. OP
    vwgtiturbo

Thanks @OR17TRD, that's kind of where my mind set is. My ex used to have a '90 Chevy that I rebuilt the front end on, and the NAPA/AutoZone joints lasted only 13k, so I've always been leery of taking the cheaper way. Like you said though, if they even last a third as long, I'm still ahead, not counting time.

OR17TRD likes this.