MPG on gen2 4cyl AT is poor... What might be going wrong

JayQQ97

MW surVivor ... clutched. 351k on the 0D0
So I measured the distance on one full tank that has 82k miles
I could only manage 390 miles on that full full tank
That is worse than my gen1 v6 with over 341k miles with MT

I thot the 4cyl automatic is supposed to be terrific on gas into the mid 20s
But hellno it is definitely not

The range on my '06 Gen2 V-6 (4.0L) AT is 360 miles.

What do you expect to get????

A couple of key areas to check.
Remove any excess cargo. Don't haul a bunch of crap around.
Check the tire air pressure.
Air filter.
Spark plugs.
Alignment
General maintenance.

Also, cold weather impacts fuel efficiency.

That is intriguing

This 4cyl 4speed AT gets marginally better than a big power v6 and lacks much power in D climbing freeway hills at 75mph it just can't go and loses speed

20.85 gallons of 87 put in for that 390 miles :confused:

Now you know why the 4 popper is not a popular choice.

Does that truck have over-size tires? If so, those have a big impact on the vehicle. Although, in some circles, they earn bro points.

The only choice of engine in the sharp little single cab is a 4 popper!!!

I am not totally sure about transmission
But hear there is a 5 speed automatic out there

Google university deets here...

What is the gas mileage on a 2011 Toyota Tacoma?

Based on data from 640 vehicles, 69,446 fuel-ups and 18,072,884 miles of driving, the 2011 Toyota Tacoma gets a combined Avg MPG of 17.73 with a 0.02 MPG margin of error.

Ok. I think the biggest fuel suck is the tires.

Suggest reviewing at the tire placard on the driver's door jamb to learn the recommended tire size.

Does your "deets" offer details on engine or body configuration? or all lumped together?

Based on the numbers you gave earlier (20.87 gallons, 390 miles) you're getting 18.6 mpg.

My last tank was 18.5 mpg

I did find that a 4cyl that is NOT a 4wd will get almost 25 on the highway speed
But no mention of what transmission

I shoulda known.

Posting conflated data and leaping to conclusions.

FOCUS on your truck. IGNORE the others.

Sorry, gotta go wash dishes and watch Terminator Salvation.

all i know from experience is that i have read many reports of the Gen1 Taco with the 4 cylinder achieving 25MPG on the average
so i thot the Gen2 4cylinder would meet if not exceed that MPG into the mid 20s

but it gets LESS, much less (1-2 MPG) than my Gen1 3.4 V6 with 5speed manual which stupifies I

Now you know why the 4 popper is not a popular choice.

Does that truck have over-size tires? If so, those have a big impact on the vehicle. Although, in some circles, they earn bro points.
Very important to some for big ass tires.
As far as mileage to a tank of fuel, best I've seen with my 3.5 v6 was a little over 360 miles....that was a some city, and mostly highway. These trucks start sucking fuel over 75 mph. Sweet spot is around 50 mph.

expect? i have no clue about these tires being much heavier rolling and distance, etc. than the stock tires that were replaced a bit over 50k miles

honestly it is the 1st negative i have ever heard about the Falken WildPeaks!!

i shall have to go now to DiscountTire (where they were bot and rotated) and consult with the tire experts

The tire brand is good as long as you do not expect them to deliver the best fuel economy. They excel in traction, and overall durability.
When I buy tires I look for all that plus the lightest in that size. I don't wish to kill fuel economy, and performance with a heavy tire.

All season...it's what I have on my truck. When these oem firestones wear out, I plan to try some kumho crugen ht51 tires.
Truck is like a mountain goat in 2wd. Traction is unreal on these gen3's. I went through a foot snow the other day, and didn't need 4wd. Never knew these taco's were that good.

Back