My 2016 Tacoma seems like it has a hard time towing my boat ?

The boat ,motor, and fuel weights around 4600 Lbs.
It always wants to stay in 4th gear... and drinks the gas like crazy

Last edited:
The boat ,motor, and fuel weights around 4600 Lbs.
It always wants to stay in 4th gear... and drinks the gas like crazy

How far are you pulling the boat how often? I’m asking because if your pulling it a lot you would be better off trading in the taco for a full size truck. If you don’t want to trade put the boat in a storage unit close to where you boat. Just trying to help you through this situation. Tacoma’s arent towing vehicles normally

I think with putting premium fuel using sport mode and a chip you can turn on and off for towing would help in my opinion

Seems the only option is performance upgrades like intake and exhaust and differential gears because Toyota has the ECU locked and if you mess with it warranty will be voided
So, no chip o_O
Intakes rarely do much besides make noise, and I highly doubt the 3.5 is outflowing it's stock exhaust.

So, no chip o_O
Intakes rarely do much besides make noise, and I highly doubt the 3.5 is outflowing it's stock exhaust.
No chip available I talk to my guy at 4 wheel unlimited plus some research on my part I would not tow more than 4,000 anyway in Tacoma unless it was built for towing and performance. get a supercharger and call it a day[emoji108]

Back