My first Tacoma

cjhono

Very excited to be reading the 2017 taco brochure. Looks like it's coming down to the TRD sport though I'm don't know if I'll go with the off road version and a 4x4. Maybe it's not a big deal but personally I'm not a fan on the black trim on the fenders on the off road version. My experience with other cars is that if not protected say with a uv liquid protectant they can end up looking awfully oxidized.

Also am I wasting my money if I do get the off-road version and plan to eventually raise the truck?

Mahalo

Last edited:
As long as you don't wash it with dish soap your black trim will look good for many years. There are dyes that will restore the trim once it does become faded.

You aren't wasting your money if you plan on off-roading because the features will still be useful with a lift.

Thanks. Was at the dealership yesterday and I like as well the TRD sport 4x4 which does not have the black over fenders. However it lacks the multi terrain and CRAWL. Crawl not an essential for the casual for the off road person is my initial opinion but I've seen the CRAWL in action via YouTube videos. Good to have if your stuck alone as it raises one chances of getting unstuck without help. Seems the TRD sport 4x4 a and TRD offroad 4x4 is nearly the same price. I suppose I can adopt to the black fenders with time. Any opinions/thoughts?

Last edited:
I wasn't a fan of the black over fenders either at first. It was the only thing I didn't like about my off road.
But every time I see a 16' sport drivin around, I'm happy I have the off-road.

16' TRD Off Road DCLB Inferno

I have a TRD Sport on order, will be built next week, and should arrive late November.

Anyway, I love the Off Road Black Fender Flares as well as the Black front valance.

So as soon as I get it I will Plasti-Dip the flares and front valance. It will look just like the Off Road model, except it will have the Sport hood scoop. Another feature I love'

Also have the TRD Pro Model Grille ready to install, again as soon as it gets here. Plus the TRD Black wheels & BFG K02s!

Where's my Darn Truck. LOL

Really don't need the Off Road feature either, probably never take off the pavement.

Norma

Where did you grab the TRD grill ? Just the insert?

Ordered it from Josh, parts@cochranetoyota.com

They're located in Calgary, Canada. So it's Canadian currency. One U.S. dollar is $1.32 Canadian approx.

They repackaged it really well, received it in perfect condition. Lots of folks and dealers receiving them with broken tabs.

And ya, just the insert. Takes 10-20 minutes to install.

IMG_4063.JPG

Back