My Great Uncle Was a Hupmobile Dealer

drb77

My great-uncle was the Hupmobil dealer in OKC during the 1920's and 1930's. His 2-story brick building is still in retail use, on automobile-ally in downtown OKC and close to the 'bricktown river-walk.' He was a successful businessman with an oil production & exploration company and the first 'modern' motor-hotel west of the Mississippi River. The Hupmobile car company and my uncle's dealership didn't make it past the great depression of 1929-39. His close friend and oil business partner, Fred Jones had the competing Ford dealership and a factory that re-built Ford engines & transmissions, (and was said to be close to Henry Ford). Oklahoma City, and much of the state was quite the hoppin' place (believe it or not) during the roaring 20's and oil booms at that time.hupmobile 3.jpg

10-dollar-bill.jpg
The old version of the 10-dollar bill has been said to picture a Model T Ford or an early Hupmobile. The Mint and Bureau of Engraving deny it and say it's a compilation of US-made autos.

At their 'motor-hotel' they handed out these little crude oil samples to the guests. Located just a block North of the state capital and on Route 66, they owned and operated an oil well. The state was well known for having wells around and under the capital grounds. The Park-O-Tell was condemned and acquired by the state to expand the capital complex during the early 70's. As a young teenager, I had a summer job there and my father had his office there.
IMG_0758.JPG

Back