Never have bought a truck need help

Hello Everyone,
I have never bought a truck and now live in WA State and my son who is 22 years old wants a truck. The research I did do brought me to a Toyota Tacoma. From what I have been reading so far maybe I should focus on years from 2009-2015? I am not sure what the real difference is between AWD and RWD and is it necessary? We have a mountain pass that requires chains in winter sometimes. Can I just put sand bags in the back and snow tires? Also I have been looking at some of the used Tacomas and am seeing some that are for sale for up to 400 thousand miles. Is there a certain motor that I need to get? Should I look at a v-6 or a 4 cylinder? He is looking for a manual transmission and something that isn't too big so I am guessing the regular cab. Thank you for your help as it is much appreciated!
Brett

2014 or 15 4WD V6 engine. Tacoma doesn't come with AWD, full time all wheel drive, it can come with 4 wheel drive that you switch into when you need it. And Yes you'll need it for snowy roads, a couple of sand bags in the back doesn't hurt either. Check the frame of any truck you're looking at for rust.

I have a 2015 V6 4X4 with A/T tires. It will serve you well to find something similar. I would not go with a 4 cylinder if going with a 4X4. It would be fine on 2 WD regular cab but when the weight goes up you need more torque of the V6. Good luck

Back