New and Helpless

DaneRunner

Hello everyone! I'm Terri, and new to the group, but not new to Toyota's. I recently sold my modded 07 4Runner, and of terrible regret now.
I've been looking for something new to play with and really love the body style of the 1st gen Tacoma's. Here's where I need some help. I've found one that I'm interested in. Very clean and well cared for, 4x4, color is perfect, miles are good etc... Only concern is that it's 4cyl. This could be a daily driver, but doesn't need to be. What's your thoughts and opinions on the 4cyl? I do plan to take it off-roading, but mild. I would also be using it in the winter snow.

Thanks for your help and guidance!

A 4-cyl should be just fine for what you're looking to do with it. Those old 4-cyl 1st gens are great for daily drivers and off-roading. I see them on and off the road everyday in the Pacific NW

Hello everyone! I'm Terri, and new to the group, but not new to Toyota's. I recently sold my modded 07 4Runner, and of terrible regret now.
I've been looking for something new to play with and really love the body style of the 1st gen Tacoma's. Here's where I need some help. I've found one that I'm interested in. Very clean and well cared for, 4x4, color is perfect, miles are good etc... Only concern is that it's 4cyl. This could be a daily driver, but doesn't need to be. What's your thoughts and opinions on the 4cyl? I do plan to take it off-roading, but mild. I would also be using it in the winter snow.

Thanks for your help and guidance!
Not to mention they are just about bulletproof. Plenty of power.

Was a no go. The truck had clearly been in an accident. The seller was not upfront at all with many hidden issues. Too bad. Looked to be a pretty good truck in pics and via texts but come to find out that it was half ass put together by some alley mechanics.

DaneRunner,
I am glad to hear you love first generation Tacomas. They are great rigs. I will give you some guidelines that I know about with these rigs. The first thing you want to check for is frame rust. Make sure you also CarFax any rig you are considering purchasing.
There are differences between the four cylinders and six cylinders. The four cylinders are going to get better gas mileage. This, however, is not that significant. They only get about 3 to 5 miles per gallon better than the six cylinders. They are also going to be cheaper and easier to work on since the engine is a single head and it is no where near as sophisticated as the Toyota 3.4 V6. The 3.4 V6 is going to have significantly more power, which will make the Tacoma able to tow trailers and do ugly work a lot easier than its four cylinder counterpart.
Please go ahead and drive both engines before making a purchase.

Hey DaneRunner,
You are probably going to be better off searching for a second generation Tacoma. First generation Tacomas are now very old. The newest model year is 12 years old. With second generations, your money will go farther, and you will have way more to choose from. If you are looking for a good condition low mileage first generation, you will spend an unheard of amount of time trying to find one. Most owners of first generations have long out grew them, and most of them are in the hands of kids, who beat the crap out of them. The ones that are out there in nice shape are in the hands of owners that are not going to part with them. For example, the one you see on a site like this one.

There is also frenzy hysteria with the first generation Tacomas. They seem to have an almost cult following to them especially with the Extra-Cab V6 4-wheel drives that are straight. As a result of this mentality, they are very expensive.

Back