new taco and dealer says the usb is not for charging phones???

Chuck holden

my 2019 tacoma was brought in for first maintainence at 5 k miles and told them about the usb not charging my phone. It SHOWS it charging on my android but it does not. The mechanic said its not there for charging the phone, only for music. He says use the console charger. Well that doesnt work if you have case on phone. Every new car I have in my garage charges with the usb. What gives? Anybody else with that problem?

It depends on what you're doing with your phone while its plugged in. The USB port will charge your phone - as long as you a rent using it for navigation, it bluetooth music, or anything else that uses power. The USB port only charges at something like 0.5 amps pretty much useless. My USB port sports flash drive full of mp3s. I charge through the aux port with a 2.0 amp adapter.

Of course while your phone is plugged into the data-usb there isn't much of a need for anything Bluetooth (because the phone is hard-wired at that moment), but certainly if you are using data or streaming music your phone will be using (probably) more energy than it is receiving from that data-usb port. Navigation doesn't use too much energy so charging will occur, just slowly. If you don't like seeing cable(s) and you don't need to see your phone, it can also charge in the center armrest/console (two charging usb-style ports). ... or if you must charge and see the phone simultaneously, run a cable from the center console/armrest usb-charging port to your phone and go Bluetooth.

Back