Newbie needs info on 1998 Tacoma

Jaybe

Hi folks: I just bought a 2wd, extended cab, 4-cyl, auto. 280k Tacoma.

I am having a hard time finding parts because I do not know what I have. How do you tell the difference between a base model, an SR5, a Prerunner, and whatever when there are no decals remaining on the vehicle?

The engine has 2RZ stamped on the left side. Just how odd is my '98? I've already discovered that my steering rack has been discontinued--bummer.

Jaybe

Hi folks: I just bought a 2wd, extended cab, 4-cyl, auto. 280k Tacoma.

I am having a hard time finding parts because I do not know what I have. How do you tell the difference between a base model, an SR5, a Prerunner, and whatever when there are no decals remaining on the vehicle?

The engine has 2RZ stamped on the left side. Just how odd is my '98? I've already discovered that my steering rack has been discontinued--bummer.

Jaybe
I do know from what I've read the prerunner is basically a 2wd with a locking reared! Don't know about the SR5!
Regarding the part about having a hard time finding parts, I learned the hard way not to even bother trying to find our trucks in any wrecking yards! I've been told these trucks are cut in 2 between the cab and bed and shipped to Mexico and Central America instead of going to a wrecking yard! I just do my own research online to see what other Toyota vehicles the particular part or parts I'm looking for will interchange with the Tacoma then look for those vehicles in the wrecking yard.

Last edited:
Back